I Thought Every FamilyMart Had a Yucho ATM: What Japan Post Bank Users Should Know
My husband recently needed to withdraw cash using his Japan Post Bank card. The nearest place was a FamilyMart, so I assumed it would have a Yucho ATM and suggested going there instead of walking farther to the post office.
But when we arrived, there was no Yucho ATM inside.
I opened Google Maps, searched for the nearest post office, and found one a little farther away. In the end, we walked there and withdrew the money without paying a fee.
The experience made me realize that I had misunderstood how convenience store ATMs work in Japan. A FamilyMart may have an ATM, but it is not necessarily a Yucho ATM.
After returning home, I checked where a Japan Post Bank card can be used and how much the ATM fees differ.
Can You Use a Japan Post Bank Card at Convenience Store ATMs?
A Japan Post Bank cash card can be used at several types of ATMs, including:
Yucho ATMs inside post offices or Japan Post Bank branches
Yucho ATMs in some FamilyMart stores, stations, and shopping facilities
Seven Bank ATMs
Lawson Bank ATMs
E-net ATMs
Japan Post Bank has always felt convenient to me because post offices and Yucho ATMs can be found in many parts of Japan, including areas where major city banks are less visible.
However, the convenience store name alone does not tell you which ATM is installed inside. Different FamilyMart locations may have different ATM operators, so it is better to check the logo on the machine.
How Much Are Yucho Bank ATM Fees?
The fee depends on the ATM and the time of day.
| ATM | Weekdays 8:45 a.m.–6:00 p.m. and Saturdays 9:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m. | Other Hours |
|---|---|---|
| Yucho ATM inside a post office or Japan Post Bank branch | Generally free | Generally free |
| Yucho ATM in some FamilyMart stores or commercial facilities | Free | ¥110 |
| Seven Bank ATM | ¥220 | ¥330 |
| Lawson Bank ATM | ¥220 | ¥330 |
| E-net ATM | ¥220 | ¥330 |
These fees apply to standard deposits and withdrawals using a Japan Post Bank cash card. Coin transactions, transfers, and some ATM locations may have different fees.
The difference may not seem large for one withdrawal, but paying ¥220 or ¥330 several times can add up. If a Yucho ATM is nearby, it is usually the cheaper choice.
Does Every FamilyMart Have a Yucho ATM?
No. That was the mistake I made.
While checking why the ATM at our local FamilyMart was different from what I expected, I found that FamilyMart’s ATM network is also changing.
FamilyMart and Seven Bank reached an agreement in 2025, and the rollout of the new “Famima ATM” began in June 2026. The machines are being introduced gradually, which means the ATM installed at a particular FamilyMart may change in the future.
Even if a store had a Yucho or E-net ATM before, it may not always have the same machine later. Checking the ATM logo or searching online before leaving home is more reliable than assuming every FamilyMart is the same.
Which ATM Should Yucho Bank Users Choose?
After this experience, I now use a simple order.
First, I look for a Yucho ATM inside a post office or Japan Post Bank branch.
If the post office is closed or too far away, I look for another Yucho ATM inside a station, shopping facility, or convenience store.
Only when I cannot find one nearby do I use Seven Bank, Lawson Bank, or E-net.
I used to search for the nearest convenience store. Now, when we use a Yucho card, I search for the nearest Yucho ATM instead.
The difference between free, ¥110, and ¥330 may not feel significant once, but it can become noticeable if you use ATMs regularly. If I cannot get to a post office, my next choice will be a Yucho ATM—not simply the nearest convenience store.
Sources
Japan Post Bank: ATM Fees and Service Hours
Japan Post Bank: Convenience Store ATM Fees
FamilyMart: Launch of Famima ATM
Seven Bank: Famima ATM Information
This article was written using official information checked in July 2026. ATM locations, operating hours, available services, and fees may change. Please check the official websites of Japan Post Bank and the relevant ATM operator before making a transaction.



Comments
Post a Comment