How I Stop Kitchen Garbage from Smelling During Summer in Japan

One of the least pleasant parts of summer in Japan is opening the kitchen trash can and immediately noticing the smell.

Fish scraps are especially bad, but I was also surprised by how quickly watermelon and melon rinds could begin to smell. During Japan’s hot and humid summer, even a trash can with a tightly closed lid may become unpleasant before the next garbage collection day.

Kitchen garbage odor prevention during summer in Japan using newspaper, baking soda, and frozen food scraps.

When I first moved to Japan, I thought attaching a deodorizer to the lid would be enough. It helped a little, but it did not solve the real problem. The smell usually came from moisture and food scraps sitting in a warm kitchen for several days.

After dealing with this for many summers, I slowly developed a routine using newspaper, baking soda, small plastic bags, and even the freezer. None of these habits began as part of a carefully planned system. I simply added each one after another leaking garbage bag or unpleasant smell.

These are the methods that have remained part of our summer routine.

Using Newspaper and Baking Soda to Reduce Garbage Odor

A free local newspaper and baking soda that I use to help reduce kitchen garbage odors during summer in Japan.

The first thing I do is place a sheet of newspaper at the bottom of the kitchen trash can.

We do not subscribe to a regular newspaper, but a free local community paper is delivered to our mailbox. I used to gather the papers for recycling without giving them much thought. Now I save several sheets for the kitchen.

After placing one sheet at the bottom of the trash can, I sprinkle about a tablespoon of baking soda over it. I then set the garbage bag in place and put another sheet of newspaper inside the bottom of the bag.

The newspaper helps absorb small amounts of liquid that may leak from kitchen waste. It also prevents moisture from collecting directly at the bottom of the bag or trash can.

Baking soda does not magically remove every smell, but I have noticed that the trash can stays fresher than it did when I used only a plastic garbage bag.

This is probably the easiest part of my routine. It takes only a few seconds whenever I replace the bag, and everything I need is already in the house.

Freezing Smelly Food Scraps Until Garbage Day

The method that has made the biggest difference in our home is freezing certain types of kitchen garbage.

Food waste containing a lot of moisture can begin to smell very quickly during summer. In our home, this usually includes:

  • watermelon or melon rinds

  • fish bones and skin

  • fish heads or internal organs

  • other wet scraps that cannot be thrown away immediately

I drain off as much liquid as possible, place the scraps in a small plastic bag, and tie it tightly. I usually put that bag inside a second bag before placing it in the freezer.

The first time my husband found one of these bags, he stared at it and asked:

“What is this?”

He was not impressed when I explained that it was frozen garbage. The idea of storing food waste in the freezer seemed completely wrong to him, especially next to food we planned to eat.

Since then, I have kept the bags tucked away in one corner of the freezer, separate from our regular food and wrapped so the contents are not visible. To be honest, I still put them where my husband is less likely to notice them.

It may sound strange at first, but freezing stops the scraps from sitting in a hot trash can for several days. On collection day, I take the frozen bag out in the morning and place it directly into the designated garbage bag.

This habit is especially useful when we eat watermelon. A large watermelon can produce a surprising amount of heavy, wet rind, and leaving it indoors until collection day used to make the entire kitchen smell.

I do not freeze every piece of food waste. Dry vegetable peels and small leftovers usually go into the regular trash. I mainly use the freezer for items that are wet or likely to develop a strong odor.

Sealing Fish and Meat Scraps in Small Plastic Bags

The thin produce bags provided at Japanese supermarkets rarely go to waste in our home.

When I prepare fish or meat, I place the skin, bones, fat, and other scraps into one of these small bags before putting them into the main garbage bag. I squeeze out excess air and tie the opening as tightly as possible.

Even when the amount is small, putting it into a separate bag makes a noticeable difference whenever I open the trash can.

Removing moisture is just as important. If a food tray or piece of packaging contains liquid, I drain it first instead of throwing everything directly into the garbage.

I also keep a stick-on deodorizer inside the trash can lid. I have tried sweet fruit fragrances, but they did not work well for me. When a sweet artificial scent mixed with the smell of food waste, the result felt even more unpleasant.

Fresh or mint scents are easier for me to tolerate, although I now see the deodorizer as the final step rather than the main solution. Sealing wet scraps and preventing them from warming up has been much more effective than trying to cover the smell with fragrance.

๐Ÿ—‘️ I also use this type of stick-on deodorizer inside my trash can to help control odors.
If you're looking for something similar, you can check it here.

๐Ÿ›’ Check the trash can deodorizer on Amazon

Giving Clean Milk Cartons One More Use Before Recycling

An opened milk carton used as a temporary cutting surface when cutting kimchi in my kitchen

Another habit in our kitchen began with empty milk cartons.

After finishing milk or juice, I rinse the carton, cut it open by following the guide printed on the package, and leave it flat until it is completely dry.

Most clean cartons eventually go to the recycling collection box at a supermarket. Before recycling them, however, I sometimes give them one more use as a temporary cutting surface.

I am originally from Korea, and I order 5 kg or sometimes 10 kg of napa cabbage kimchi from a Korean grocery store in Japan. When the delivery arrives, I transfer the kimchi into a large container made specifically for storing it.

Instead of cutting the entire order at once, I take out only the amount we plan to eat and cut it each time.

Using a regular cutting board was inconvenient because the red kimchi liquid could stain the surface, and the smell sometimes remained even after washing it carefully.

Now I place an opened milk carton over my cutting board and cut the kimchi on top of it. The carton protects the board from much of the red liquid and makes cleanup easier.

I sometimes use the same idea when preparing fish or other ingredients with a strong smell.

Afterward, I wash the carton and let it dry again. If it remains clean and meets the rules posted at the collection point, I take it to the supermarket recycling box. Recycling rules can differ depending on the supermarket or municipality, so I check the notice on the box rather than assuming every carton will be accepted.

What began as a small attempt to protect my cutting board has become part of my regular kitchen routine. I now keep several clean, opened cartons ready instead of taking every one to the recycling box immediately.

Taking Clean Food Trays to Supermarket Recycling Boxes

Clean and dried food trays ready to be taken to a supermarket recycling box in Japan

I also try not to leave the plastic trays used for fish and meat inside our kitchen trash can.

After removing the food, I wash each tray thoroughly and allow it to dry completely. The next time we go shopping, I take the clean trays to the recycling boxes outside or near the entrance of the supermarket.

Milk cartons and juice cartons are usually taken at the same time.

Not every store accepts exactly the same items. Some collection boxes accept only white foam trays, while others may have separate areas for transparent trays, plastic bottles, or paper cartons. I always look at the signs before putting anything inside.

This routine is not directly a method for treating food waste, but it reduces the amount of packaging sitting in our kitchen bin.

Fish and meat trays can retain moisture or smell if they are placed in the trash without being washed. Removing them from the household garbage has helped keep the bin cleaner and less crowded between collection days.

Because we already visit the supermarket regularly, taking a small bag of clean recycling with us does not feel like much extra work.

Why Moisture Matters More Than Fragrance

Four simple steps to reduce kitchen garbage odors during summer in Japan.

After trying several products and methods, I realized that moisture was the main issue in our kitchen.

A stronger deodorizer did not help much when wet scraps were still sitting inside a warm garbage bag. On the other hand, even a simple sheet of newspaper could make a difference by absorbing liquid.

My current routine is based on three basic ideas:

  • absorb moisture with newspaper

  • seal fish and meat scraps in small bags

  • freeze the wettest and smelliest waste until collection day

The baking soda and lid deodorizer are helpful additions, but they are not doing all the work.

This was something I learned gradually rather than from following one perfect cleaning method. Each small change addressed a different problem: leaking liquid, exposed scraps, strong fish smells, or several days of summer heat.

Check the Garbage Rules Where You Live in Japan

Garbage collection and recycling rules in Japan can vary by municipality.

The days for burnable garbage, the designated bags, and the items accepted for supermarket recycling may not be the same everywhere. Someone living in another prefecture—or even a nearby city—may have different instructions.

For that reason, I follow the collection calendar and sorting rules provided in the area where I live. I also check the labels on supermarket recycling boxes before leaving trays or cartons there.

Freezing kitchen scraps does not change how I dispose of them. On collection day, they still go into the correct designated garbage bag according to the local rules.

For foreigners who have recently moved to Japan, the garbage calendar provided by the city office can be very useful. Some municipalities offer versions in several languages, although the available languages differ by area.

The Small Habits That Stayed in Our Home

I never planned to create a complete summer garbage routine.

I started placing newspaper in the trash can because liquid had leaked into the bottom. I added baking soda because it was already in the kitchen. Small produce bags became useful after preparing fish, and the freezer became the solution for watermelon rinds and scraps that could not wait several days.

The milk cartons and food trays were another extension of the same idea: keep wet or strongly scented items out of the kitchen garbage whenever possible.

You do not need to follow every step for the routine to be useful. In a small freezer, there may not be enough room for watermelon rinds. Someone else may not receive a local newspaper. The most practical method depends on the home, the garbage collection schedule, and the type of food being prepared.

For us, the combination of newspaper, small bags, and freezing has made the biggest difference.

My husband still looks suspicious whenever he spots a small bag hidden in the corner of the freezer. I understand why. But until Japan’s summers become less hot and humid, frozen kitchen garbage will probably remain part of our household routine.


๐Ÿ’ก This article contains affiliate links.
If you purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Sleep Better During Summer in Japan: Tips for Hot and Humid Nights

Are Japanese Supermarkets Really Cheaper on Tuesdays? What I’ve Learned from Shopping in Japan

Why Is Summer in Japan So Hot? A Foreigner's Guide to Japan's Humid Summers and Heatstroke Prevention

Will Your Company Find Out About Your Side Income in Japan?

What Are We Buying Today? How I Choose Where to Shop in Japan

【Narita Travel #2】AEON Mall Narita: The Perfect Last Stop Before Your Flight

Thinking About Buying a Home in Japan? Here's What Prices Look Like by Region

Peach and Grape Picking in Japan: Seasons, Best Areas, and Tips

Japan's Summer Vacation Isn't the Same Everywhere — Here's Why

You Haven't Missed Them Yet — 20 Kanto Fireworks Festivals Still Happening This Summer