Laundry Detergent in Japan: Why I Switched from Powder to Liquid and Finally to Pods

When I was a child, laundry detergent meant one thing: a large box of powder with a measuring scoop inside.

Later, I started using liquid detergent. These days, as I get closer to 50, I mostly use laundry pods.

It made me realize that even something as ordinary as laundry detergent has changed quite a lot during my lifetime.

After living in Japan for many years, I have also watched the laundry aisle change. Japanese drugstores and home centers now sell powder detergent, liquid detergent, refill packs, concentrated formulas, and colorful laundry pods.

In Japan, laundry pods are usually called “gel balls,” or ジェルボール.

I did not move from one type to another because I believed one detergent was perfect. My choice changed gradually, depending on what felt easier in everyday life.

Here is what I learned from using powder detergent, liquid detergent, and gel balls in Japan.

Why I Stopped Using Powder Detergent

Powder detergent is the type I remember most clearly from my childhood.

There was always a cardboard box near the washing machine, and inside it was a plastic measuring scoop. You opened the box, measured the powder, and poured it into the machine.

When I eventually started doing my own laundry, I became more aware of cold water in winter.

Modern powder detergents are designed to dissolve well, and I did not regularly find visible powder left on our clothes. Even so, I often wondered whether everything was dissolving properly when the tap water was especially cold.

It may not have been something I needed to worry about, but the thought stayed with me.

Liquid detergent simply felt easier for me to use during the colder months. I no longer found myself wondering whether any powder might remain in the machine or on the laundry.

That peace of mind was the main reason I moved away from powder detergent.

What I Found Inconvenient About Liquid Detergent

For a long time, liquid detergent worked well for us.

The inconvenience was not the detergent itself. It was the measuring.

Our washing machine does not have an automatic detergent dispenser. Some newer washing machines in Japan allow you to fill a tank with detergent and let the machine measure it for each load, but ours is not that type.

Every time I did laundry, I poured detergent into the cap, checked the measurement line, and then poured it into the detergent drawer.

Sometimes a little liquid ran down the side of the bottle. After repeated use, the edges of the cap would become sticky.

I also had to remove and rinse the detergent drawer from time to time because detergent residue collected inside it.

None of these jobs took very long.

Still, when I was repeating the same steps almost every day, I began to notice them more. I would find myself looking at the sticky cap and thinking that there had to be a simpler way to start the washing machine.

Why I Started Using Laundry Pods in Japan

That was when I decided to try laundry pods, or gel balls as they are commonly called in Japan.

At first, I was a little skeptical.

They looked convenient, but I wondered whether they would really make much difference. Measuring liquid detergent only takes a few seconds, after all.

Once I started using them, however, I understood the appeal.

I place one gel ball directly into the empty washing machine drum, then put the laundry on top and start the cycle.

There is no measuring cap to fill, no liquid running down the bottle, and no need to check a measurement line when I am in a hurry.

I still read the instructions on the package because the recommended number of pods may vary depending on the product, the amount of laundry, and how dirty the clothes are.

For our usual loads, though, the routine is simple: one pod into the drum, clothes on top, and press start.

It is a very small change, but it removed the part of doing laundry that had quietly started to bother me.

Do Laundry Pods Replace Fabric Softener?

Some laundry pods include fragrance or softening ingredients, but not all of them do.

I still use fabric softener separately.

For me, choosing fabric softener is mostly about fragrance. Japanese stores have many different options, and I often spend more time deciding on a scent than choosing the detergent itself.

That is probably a separate topic for another post.

For now, I simply check the package to see what the gel balls include rather than assuming they replace fabric softener.

Can Laundry Pods Clean the Washing Machine?

I have seen gel ball packages in Japan that mention helping to prevent mold or keep the washing tub cleaner during regular use.

Some products also suggest that using more than one pod may provide stronger cleaning for certain loads.

I treat those claims as an extra feature, not as a replacement for proper washing machine maintenance.

Daily detergent is for washing clothes. Cleaning the washing machine tub is a separate job in my mind.

I still use a dedicated washing machine cleaner from time to time and run the machine’s cleaning cycle.

Even when a detergent says it helps keep the washing tub clean, I do not rely on it alone. Product instructions differ, so I think it is better to follow the package directions and continue regular machine cleaning when needed.

Where to Buy Laundry Detergent in Japan

I usually buy laundry detergent at a home center.

That is partly because I often go there for cleaning supplies, household goods, and products for our cats. Picking up detergent at the same time is convenient.

Still, the home center is not always the cheapest option.

Japanese drugstores often run sales or point campaigns, and online stores sometimes offer better prices on large refill packs or bulk packages of gel balls.

When comparing prices, I now look at the amount inside the package rather than only the number printed on the price tag.

For liquid detergent, I check the total volume. For gel balls, I check how many pods are included.

A large package may look like a better deal, but that is not always true once you calculate the cost per wash.

I usually buy wherever the price and package size make the most sense at the time.

For anyone who prefers shopping online, it can also be useful to compare different types and package sizes before visiting a store.

See laundry detergents online

Why Laundry Pods Work Best for Me Now

I do not think powder detergent, liquid detergent, or laundry pods are automatically better than the others.

Powder detergent can be practical and easy to adjust. Liquid detergent feels familiar and is available in many varieties. Gel balls are simple to use but do not allow the same fine adjustment for every load.

My own choice changed with my routine.

I grew up seeing a box of powder detergent beside the washing machine. Later, I used liquid detergent for years because it felt easier in cold weather.

Now I open a bag, take out one gel ball, and toss it into the drum without thinking much about it.

Laundry itself has not changed, but the small routine around it certainly has.

For now, gel balls are simply the option that fits our washing machine and my habits best.

Next time, I may write about the other laundry aisle decision I usually make almost entirely by scent: fabric softener.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Sleep Better During Summer in Japan: Tips for Hot and Humid Nights

Are Japanese Supermarkets Really Cheaper on Tuesdays? What I’ve Learned from Shopping in Japan

Why Is Summer in Japan So Hot? A Foreigner's Guide to Japan's Humid Summers and Heatstroke Prevention

Will Your Company Find Out About Your Side Income in Japan?

What Are We Buying Today? How I Choose Where to Shop in Japan

【Narita Travel #2】AEON Mall Narita: The Perfect Last Stop Before Your Flight

Thinking About Buying a Home in Japan? Here's What Prices Look Like by Region

Peach and Grape Picking in Japan: Seasons, Best Areas, and Tips

Japan's Summer Vacation Isn't the Same Everywhere — Here's Why

You Haven't Missed Them Yet — 20 Kanto Fireworks Festivals Still Happening This Summer