【Narita Travel #1】Don't Just Stay at Narita Airport! Visit Naritasan Shinshoji Templ

 

Today, I'd like to introduce Narita City, where I live in Chiba Prefecture, Japan.

When people hear the name "Narita," the first thing that usually comes to mind is Narita International Airport.

My family from Korea always flies through Narita Airport when they visit Japan, and my husband's coworkers also use it frequently for business trips.

However, I've always felt that it's a shame when people think of Narita as nothing more than "the airport where you enter Japan" and simply pass through without exploring the city.

Recently, a friend from Korea was staying at a hotel near Narita Airport and asked me,

"I have a little free time. Is there anywhere nearby you would recommend?"

Without hesitation, my first recommendation was Naritasan Shinshoji Temple.

Narita Station is about 30 minutes by train from Narita Airport.

From any airport terminal station, you can take either the JR Narita Line or the Keisei Railway.

Personally, I recommend taking the JR line.

The Keisei Railway costs around ¥270, but it operates several types of trains, including limited express services. If you're visiting for the first time, it can be a little confusing because some trains do not stop at Narita Station.

The JR line is simpler. It costs ¥240, and Narita Station is only two stops away, making it an easy choice for first-time visitors.

JR Narita Station and Keisei Narita Station are located very close to each other, so whichever line you choose, it's easy to find your way to Naritasan Shinshoji Temple.

Naritasan Shinshoji Temple is one of Japan's most famous Buddhist temples, with a history of more than 1,000 years.

According to legend, Fudo Myoo (Acala) was brought from Kyoto, but when people tried to take the statue back, it would not move. This was believed to be a divine sign, and the temple was built on that very spot.

Every day, the temple holds a traditional Goma Fire Ritual.

Anyone is welcome to attend, and I highly recommend experiencing it if you're visiting Narita for the first time.

The chanting of the monks together with the powerful sacred fire creates a truly unforgettable atmosphere.

Many visitors also bring personal belongings such as wallets or bags to receive blessings during the ceremony.

If you visit Naritasan Shinshoji Temple, don't miss this unique experience.

After visiting the temple, I also recommend taking a walk along Naritasan Omotesando.

This historic street stretches from Narita Station to the temple and is lined with traditional Japanese shops, famous grilled eel (unagi) restaurants, souvenir stores, and Japanese confectionery shops.

It's a wonderful place to explore even if you don't have a specific destination in mind.

If you're planning to eat at one of the popular eel restaurants, keep in mind that many of them hand out waiting tickets on weekends and holidays. It's a good idea to pick up a ticket first before walking around.

Narita is much more than just an airport.

With just a little extra time, you can experience traditional Japanese streets, rich history, delicious local food, and one of Japan's most beautiful temples.

The next time you fly through Narita Airport, I hope you'll take some time to discover the city itself.

...

Oh... while I was writing this blog, my youngest Bengal cat, Sora, started meowing beside me again, asking me to play. 😄

I guess that's my cue to take a little break and spend some time with her.

In my next post, I'll introduce AEON Mall Narita, one of my favorite places to shop.

If you're planning a trip to Narita, I hope you'll look forward to it! 😊


📍 Google Maps

✈️ View Narita International Airport on Google Maps


🚶 View Naritasan Shinshoji Temple on Google Maps

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Sleep Better During Summer in Japan: Tips for Hot and Humid Nights

Are Japanese Supermarkets Really Cheaper on Tuesdays? What I’ve Learned from Shopping in Japan

Why Is Summer in Japan So Hot? A Foreigner's Guide to Japan's Humid Summers and Heatstroke Prevention

Will Your Company Find Out About Your Side Income in Japan?

What Are We Buying Today? How I Choose Where to Shop in Japan

【Narita Travel #2】AEON Mall Narita: The Perfect Last Stop Before Your Flight

Thinking About Buying a Home in Japan? Here's What Prices Look Like by Region

Peach and Grape Picking in Japan: Seasons, Best Areas, and Tips

Japan's Summer Vacation Isn't the Same Everywhere — Here's Why

You Haven't Missed Them Yet — 20 Kanto Fireworks Festivals Still Happening This Summer