What Time Do Japanese Supermarkets Mark Down Food? When to Find the Best Discount Stickers

Foreign resident shopping for discounted food in a Japanese supermarket

After moving to Japan, I started noticing more people checking the prepared food section in the evening. Some shoppers seemed to know exactly when to arrive, while I was still wondering why everyone was looking so closely at the bento boxes.

The reason was simple: they were checking for discount stickers.

If you are wondering what time Japanese supermarkets mark down food, the most useful answer is this: small discounts often begin in the late afternoon, while larger markdowns usually appear in the evening or during the final hour before closing.

However, there is no fixed schedule across Japan. Each grocery store follows its own routine, and food does not always reach half price.

What Time Do Discount Stickers Usually Appear?

Typical supermarket discount sticker schedule in Japan

Many supermarkets in Japan begin reducing prices on fresh and prepared food sometime between late afternoon and early evening.

The exact timing depends on the store, but this is a general guide based on what I often see.

TimeTypical Markdown Pattern
3:00–5:00 PMSmall discounts may appear on a few short-dated items
5:00–7:00 PMMore bento, sushi, bread, and side dishes are marked down
7:00–9:00 PMDiscounts of 30% or 50% become easier to find
Final hour before closingRemaining food may receive an additional markdown

Prepared meals, sushi, sandwiches, salads, bakery items, meat, and fish are among the most common reduced-price products.

A smaller neighborhood store may start early, while a late-night or 24-hour supermarket may wait much longer. Even two branches of the same chain can have different markdown schedules.

Does Food Always Go Half Price Before Closing?

Comparison between buying discounted food early and waiting too long

No. Waiting until closing time does not guarantee a 50% discount.

I made that assumption when I first started shopping in Japan. I thought that if I waited long enough, almost everything would eventually become half price. Instead, the bento I wanted often disappeared before the larger stickers came out.

Over time, I realized that supermarket markdowns were not random. They depended on how much food was left and how quickly it was selling.

Busy weekends, holidays, special sale days, and the evening rush can cause popular meals to sell out early. On rainy days, I sometimes see more reduced-price items because fewer people visit the store.

Some food may remain at 20% or 30% off until it sells. Other products may not be discounted at all.

What I Learned From Shopping at Local Stores

I live in Chiba and regularly visit several nearby supermarkets. Each one has its own routine.

At one store near me, prepared meals often receive a 30% markdown around 6:30 PM. Another local store may still have everything at full price at the same time and begin reducing prices later.

I used to wait for the half-price stickers even when I had already found something I wanted. More than once, someone else picked up the last bento while I was still deciding.

Now, if a meal I genuinely want is already 20% or 30% off, I usually buy it. Saving a little less is still better than waiting too long and going home empty-handed.

The Best Time Can Depend on the Day

Time is not the only thing that matters. The day of the week can also affect how many reduced-price items are available.

Weekends are often busy, so prepared food may sell before the biggest markdowns appear. Weekday evenings can be quieter, although stores near offices or train stations may become crowded after work.

Weather also makes a difference. When heavy rain is forecast, some stores seem to have more unsold food than usual. Before public holidays or during seasonal events, the normal routine may change completely.

The easiest way to understand your local store is to visit at similar times on different days. After a few weeks, you may notice that bread is reduced earlier than sushi, or that one weekday has more discounted products than others.

A Discount Is Only Useful If You Eat the Food
Checklist for buying discounted food in Japan

Reduced-price food can help you save money on groceries in Japan, but buying something simply because it looks cheap is not always a bargain.

I have made this mistake myself. I once bought several discounted side dishes because the stickers made them seem too good to leave behind. The next day, some were still sitting in the refrigerator because I had bought more than we could finish.

Before adding a reduced-price item to my basket, I now check three things: whether I actually need it, when I will eat it, and whether it can be frozen.

The expiration or use-by date is especially important. Food intended for the same evening may not be suitable for keeping several more days. Meat, fish, and some bakery products can sometimes be frozen, but it is best to check the packaging and store them promptly.

How to Save Money Without Chasing Every Deal

You do not need to visit several grocery stores or wait outside the prepared food section every evening.

A more practical approach is to shop at your usual store and learn its habits. When something you were already planning to buy has a discount sticker, that is a genuine saving.

Travelling farther just to find a half-price bento may cost more in fuel or transportation than you save. It can also lead to buying food you did not originally need.

For me, supermarket markdowns work best as a small part of normal grocery shopping, not as a reason to buy extra food.

Final Thoughts

Japanese supermarkets often begin marking down food in the late afternoon, with larger discounts appearing later in the evening or near closing time.

Still, there is no single best time that applies to every store, and half-price food is never guaranteed. Popular items may sell out early, while other products remain only slightly reduced.

The most reliable strategy is to learn the routine of your local supermarket and avoid waiting too long for the biggest sticker. 

Sometimes, a 20% or 30% markdown on a meal you truly want is a much better deal than waiting for 50% off and finding an empty shelf. Those small, sensible choices can help reduce both grocery costs and food waste while living in Japan.


# Related Reading 

When I shop in Japan, I don't just look for discount stickers. I also check each supermarket's regular sale days.

The same product can become cheaper depending on the store or the day of the week, so knowing both can help you save more on your grocery budget.

๐Ÿ‘‰Are Japanese Supermarkets Really Cheaper on Tuesdays? What I’ve Learned from Shopping in Japan


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Sleep Better During Summer in Japan: Tips for Hot and Humid Nights

Are Japanese Supermarkets Really Cheaper on Tuesdays? What I’ve Learned from Shopping in Japan

Why Is Summer in Japan So Hot? A Foreigner's Guide to Japan's Humid Summers and Heatstroke Prevention

Will Your Company Find Out About Your Side Income in Japan?

What Are We Buying Today? How I Choose Where to Shop in Japan

【Narita Travel #2】AEON Mall Narita: The Perfect Last Stop Before Your Flight

Thinking About Buying a Home in Japan? Here's What Prices Look Like by Region

Peach and Grape Picking in Japan: Seasons, Best Areas, and Tips

Japan's Summer Vacation Isn't the Same Everywhere — Here's Why

You Haven't Missed Them Yet — 20 Kanto Fireworks Festivals Still Happening This Summer