Will Your Company Find Out About Your Side Income in Japan?
I Looked Into How Side Jobs and Resident Tax Work in Japan
While researching Japanese tax returns and side income recently, I kept coming across the same phrase:
"If you have a side job, your company will find out."
To be honest, that sounded a little scary at first.
If I eventually start earning money from blogging, YouTube, or affiliate marketing, will my employer really know about it?
Curious about how this works in Japan, I decided to do some research.
What Happens If Your Company Finds Out About Your Side Income?
The good news is that simply having side income is not automatically a problem.
The most important factor is whether your company allows side jobs according to its employment rules.
If Your Company Allows Side Jobs
If your employer permits side work, there is usually nothing to worry about.
Examples of side income include:
- Blogging income
- YouTube revenue
- Amazon affiliate commissions
- TikTok creator income
- Selling handmade products
Many people in Japan earn extra income through these activities.
As long as you properly report your taxes and your side work does not interfere with your main job, it is unlikely to cause any issues.
If Your Company Prohibits Side Jobs
Things become more complicated if your company's rules prohibit side work.
Depending on the company, possible consequences may include:
- Receiving a warning or guidance from management
- Being asked to stop the side activity
- Negative effects on performance evaluations
- In some cases, disciplinary action
Every company has different policies, so checking your employment regulations is important.
Why Do People Say "Your Company Will Find Out Through Resident Tax"?
One of the most common concerns in Japan is:
"Your company will find out because of resident tax."
In Japan, most employees pay their resident tax through payroll deductions handled by their employer.
This system is called Special Collection (Tokubetsu Choshu / ็นๅฅๅพดๅ).
If you report side income on your tax return, your resident tax may increase the following year.
As a result, someone in your company's accounting department might notice:
"Their salary hasn't changed much, so why has their resident tax increased?"
This is why people often say that side jobs can be discovered through resident tax.
But Resident Tax Does Not Reveal Everything
Even if your resident tax increases, your employer cannot see:
- What kind of side work you do
- How much you earn from it
- Whether the income comes from blogging, YouTube, or another source
At most, they may simply assume that you have some additional income.
If Side Jobs Are Allowed, There Is Usually No Need to Worry
If your company permits side work, following these three rules is usually enough:
- File your taxes properly.
- Do not let your side work affect your main job.
- Do not use company information or customers for personal business.
As remote work and digital businesses become more common, more companies in Japan are becoming open to side jobs and additional income streams.
Final Thoughts
After researching this topic, I realized something important:
"What matters most is not whether your company finds out, but whether your company allows side jobs in the first place."
Personally, I am interested not only in blogging, YouTube, and affiliate marketing, but also in investing and asset building for the future.
There are many different types of income in life:
- Income earned from work
- Income earned from business
- Income earned from investments
The more I learn about these different income streams, the more interesting the topic becomes.
I hope that by learning little by little now, I won't panic if I eventually start earning additional income in the future ๐

Comments
Post a Comment