What Sells Out Before a Typhoon in Japan? A Foreigner’s Guide to Home Center Shopping

In Japan, typhoons can arrive from summer into autumn, but August through October is the period when I pay the closest attention to the forecast.

When I first moved to Japan, there was something I never quite understood whenever a typhoon appeared in the forecast. 

The parking lot at my local home center would suddenly become much busier than usual.

At first, I thought everyone was simply trying to finish their shopping before the rain began.

But once I went inside, I realized that people were not browsing the usual gardening tools or household supplies. They were heading straight for the emergency-preparedness section.

Shopping carts were filled with bottled water, batteries, flashlights, blue tarps, portable gas canisters, and rolls of tape.

Standing there with everyone else, I finally understood why the parking lot had been so crowded.

In Japan, typhoon preparation often begins before the wind and rain arrive.

After living here for many years, I have developed the same habit. When a typhoon starts moving toward the Kanto region, I check our supplies and often stop by a home center.

And every time I see the tape shelves, I remember one of my earliest mistakes.

What Sells Out at Japanese Home Centers Before a Typhoon

Once a large typhoon appears in the forecast, the shelves can change surprisingly quickly.

The tape section becomes crowded, bottled water starts disappearing, and batteries can suddenly become harder to find.

Some of the items people often buy before a typhoon in Japan include:

  • Yōjō tape, or protective tape

  • Flashlights

  • Batteries

  • Mobile power banks

  • Bottled water

  • Portable gas stoves

  • Gas canisters

  • Blue tarps

  • Work gloves

  • Plastic water containers

What you actually need depends on where and how you live.

People in detached houses may need to secure items in the garden, check outdoor storage, or prepare for possible roof damage.

Apartment residents may focus more on balcony items, windows, and balcony drains.

The goal is not to copy everything other shoppers are buying. It is better to think about what would become difficult in your own home if the electricity went out or the storm became stronger than expected.

My Mistake: Not All Tape Is Suitable for Windows

One of my first typhoon-preparation mistakes involved tape.

I had heard that people in Japan sometimes put tape on windows before a typhoon, so I assumed that stronger tape would be better.

I bought a strong roll, attached it firmly to the glass, and felt satisfied with my preparation.

The typhoon itself passed without trouble.

My tape problem was just beginning.

A few days later, I tried to remove it from the window.

It would not come off cleanly.

The tape tore into pieces, and sticky adhesive remained all over the glass. I ended up using adhesive remover and wiping the window again and again.

It took far more time to clean the window than it had taken to prepare it.

That was when I learned that tape is not just tape.

In Japan, many people look for yōjō tape (養生テープ). It is a temporary protective tape often used during construction, moving, painting, or surface protection.

Compared with strong duct tape or cloth tape, some types of yōjō tape are designed to be easier to remove.

However, that does not mean every product is suitable for every window.

Before buying one, it is worth checking:

  • Whether it can be used on glass

  • What surfaces it is intended for

  • How long it can remain attached

  • Whether heat may affect the adhesive

  • Whether it is designed for easy removal

Japanese windows can become very hot during summer, especially in direct sunlight. Heat may make some adhesives softer and more difficult to remove.

Since my mistake, I no longer choose tape based only on how strong it feels.

I read the packaging carefully and look for something that is suitable for temporary use on the correct surface.

It is also important to remember that tape does not make the glass itself stronger.

During severe winds, shutters or storm shutters are more useful when available. Closing curtains, moving furniture away from windows, and staying away from the glass are also important precautions.

My Usual Typhoon Routine in Japan

Over the years, I have developed a small routine whenever a typhoon appears in the forecast.

First, I check the balcony.

Flower pots, sandals, cleaning tools, and laundry poles used for drying clothes can move or fall during strong winds. Even objects that seem heavy can become dangerous when the wind becomes intense.

I bring smaller items indoors and secure anything that cannot be moved.

Next, I test the flashlights.

Simply owning one is not enough. Batteries can lose power while sitting unused, so I turn each flashlight on before the storm arrives.

I also charge our phones and mobile power banks early.

If a typhoon causes a power outage, a fully charged phone can be important for receiving weather alerts, transportation updates, and local emergency information.

We also keep some extra drinking water and food that can be eaten without much preparation.

It does not always need to be special emergency food. A few familiar items that your family already eats may be easier to store and less likely to be wasted.

I also check balcony drains, outdoor drains, and gutters when it is still safe to do so.

Leaves, dirt, and debris can block water during heavy rain. A small blockage can become a much bigger problem once the rain starts.

Most importantly, I try not to wait until the last moment.

When a typhoon is already close, stores may be crowded, useful products may be sold out, and the weather may no longer be safe for unnecessary travel.

Living in Japan Means Learning New Seasonal Habits

Before moving to Japan, I never thought a home center parking lot could tell you that a typhoon was coming.

Now I recognize the signs immediately.

The weather forecast changes.

The parking lot fills up.

The tape, batteries, and bottled water begin to disappear.

Living in another country often means learning small habits that local residents may take for granted.

Typhoon preparation became one of those habits for me.

These days, I know typhoon season has truly begun when I find myself standing in front of the tape shelf again.

And every time, I remember the sticky window I spent hours cleaning and remind myself:

Not just any tape.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Sleep Better During Summer in Japan: Tips for Hot and Humid Nights

Are Japanese Supermarkets Really Cheaper on Tuesdays? What I’ve Learned from Shopping in Japan

Why Is Summer in Japan So Hot? A Foreigner's Guide to Japan's Humid Summers and Heatstroke Prevention

Will Your Company Find Out About Your Side Income in Japan?

What Are We Buying Today? How I Choose Where to Shop in Japan

【Narita Travel #2】AEON Mall Narita: The Perfect Last Stop Before Your Flight

Thinking About Buying a Home in Japan? Here's What Prices Look Like by Region

Peach and Grape Picking in Japan: Seasons, Best Areas, and Tips

Japan's Summer Vacation Isn't the Same Everywhere — Here's Why

You Haven't Missed Them Yet — 20 Kanto Fireworks Festivals Still Happening This Summer