Peach and Grape Picking in Japan: Seasons, Best Areas, and Tips

A Seasonal Experience I Came to Love in Japan

When I first moved to Japan, I knew about strawberry picking, but I did not realize that fruit picking was such a popular seasonal activity.

As summer approaches, supermarkets, roadside stations, and local markets begin displaying beautiful peaches and grapes. It is also the time when many people start planning weekend trips to orchards.

You may be wondering when peach and grape picking seasons begin, where to find fruit farms near Tokyo, and whether a trip to Yamanashi is really worth it.

After living in Japan for many years, I can honestly say that fruit picking has become one of my favorite seasonal experiences.

There is something special about choosing the fruit yourself, picking it directly from the tree or vine, and taking it home while it is still incredibly fresh.

For anyone looking for a summer or early autumn day trip, fruit picking near Tokyo is an easy and memorable way to experience Japan’s seasonal food culture.

When Is Peach Picking Season in Japan?

Peach picking season in Japan generally runs from late June to late August.

The exact timing depends on the region, the farm, the variety, and the weather, but the busiest period is usually from July through early August.

Depending on when you visit, you may find varieties such as Hakuho, Akatsuki, or Hakuto. Their sweetness, firmness, and harvest timing can vary, and availability depends on each farm’s growing conditions.

One of the most famous places for peach picking in Japan is Yamanashi Prefecture.

Yamanashi is one of Japan’s major peach-producing regions, and areas such as Fuefuki City and Koshu City have many tourist orchards.

I visited a fruit farm in Yamanashi before, and I still remember how surprised I was by the peaches.

They were much larger than I expected, and they felt heavy in my hand.

But the size was not the most impressive part.

The peaches were incredibly juicy, fragrant, and sweet. They tasted completely different from the peaches I usually bought at the supermarket.

I remember thinking that I had never realized how delicious a truly fresh peach could be.

Peaches bruise easily, so farms often explain how to harvest them carefully. Instead of squeezing the fruit, you usually support it gently with your hand and lift or twist it slowly.

Following the farm staff’s instructions is important because ripe peaches are very delicate.

When Is Grape Picking Season in Japan?

Grape picking season usually runs from late July until early October.

Because different varieties ripen at different times, the grapes available will depend on when you visit.

Typical harvest periods include:

  • Delaware grapes: July to August

  • Kyoho grapes: August to September

  • Pione grapes: August to September

  • Shine Muscat grapes: August to September

Shine Muscat has become one of the most popular grape varieties in Japan.

It is especially popular with visitors because it is very sweet, often seedless, and can usually be eaten with the skin on.

It is also frequently sold as a premium gift in Japanese supermarkets and department stores.

Picking grapes directly from the vine feels very different from choosing a packaged bunch in a store.

When I went grape picking in Yamanashi, I became much more excited than I expected.

Because I could choose the bunches myself, every one looked too good to leave behind.

In the end, I brought home four bunches of grapes even though there were only two people in our household.

I probably became greedy because I was picking them myself.

Still, I had no regrets. We enjoyed those grapes for several days, and even opening the refrigerator to see the bunches I had chosen made me happy.

Fruit-Picking Plans and Pricing Can Be Very Different

Before visiting a farm, it is important to check how its fruit-picking plan works.

The pricing system can vary widely.

Some farms offer an all-you-can-eat session for a fixed amount of time. Others allow you to pick a certain number of fruits, while some charge according to the weight or number of fruits you take home.

At certain farms, tasting and harvesting are handled separately, and anything you pick must be purchased.

Make sure you understand the rules and prices before you start picking.

Otherwise, you may end up taking home four bunches of grapes like I did.

The amount and quality of available fruit also depend on the weather and harvest conditions. A farm may finish its season earlier than originally planned if the fruit is picked faster than expected.

Checking the official website or social media account before leaving home can save you from a disappointing trip.

Best Areas for Peach and Grape Picking Near Tokyo

If you live in Tokyo or elsewhere in the Kanto region, there are several areas where you can enjoy fruit picking as a day trip.

Yamanashi Prefecture

Yamanashi is probably the best-known destination for both peaches and grapes.

Fuefuki City, Koshu City, and the Katsunuma area have many orchards that welcome visitors during the summer and early autumn.

Some farms grow both peaches and grapes, so depending on the season, it may be possible to enjoy both on the same day.

Yamanashi is especially worth considering when you want a full fruit-farm experience and do not mind traveling a little farther from Tokyo.

The scenery, rows of fruit trees, and large vineyards make the trip feel like a real seasonal getaway.

Chiba Prefecture

Chiba also has grape farms, and many are accessible from Tokyo and the Narita area.

I now live in Chiba, not far from Narita, but I have not visited a local grape farm yet.

After having such a good experience in Yamanashi, I am hoping to visit one in Chiba this year and see how the atmosphere and grape varieties compare.

A nearby farm would also be easier for a casual weekend trip without needing to spend a long time on the road.

Ibaraki, Tochigi, and Saitama Prefectures

Ibaraki, Tochigi, and Saitama also have tourist farms where visitors can enjoy grape picking and other seasonal fruits.

Many farms can be reached from central Tokyo in around one or two hours by car, depending on traffic and location.

Some orchards also have farm shops, cafés, or dessert menus featuring freshly harvested fruit.

You may find parfaits, juices, shaved ice, cakes, or soft-serve ice cream made with local peaches and grapes.

For fruit lovers, the café can become almost as exciting as the harvesting itself.

What to Bring and What to Wear

Fruit picking takes place outdoors, so summer heat can be a real concern.

July, August, and September can be extremely hot and humid in Japan, even in the morning.

It is a good idea to bring water, a hat, a small towel, and sun protection.

Comfortable shoes are also important.

Many farms have dirt paths, grass, or uneven ground, so sneakers are usually safer and easier to walk in than sandals or heels.

Fruit juice can drip onto your clothes, especially when eating very ripe peaches.

Wearing something comfortable that you do not mind getting slightly dirty can help you relax and enjoy the experience.

And one practical tip: your favorite white shirt may not be the best choice.

Reservations, Weather, and Cancellation Rules

Many popular farms require reservations, particularly on weekends, during school holidays, and around the Obon period.

Even farms that normally accept walk-in visitors may limit entry when they are crowded.

Always check whether a reservation is needed before you go.

Weather also matters.

Heavy rain, strong winds, extreme heat, or poor growing conditions can affect the farm’s opening hours and available fruit.

Peach and grape picking season overlaps with Japan’s typhoon season, especially from late summer into early autumn.

Before making a reservation, it is worth checking the weather forecast as well as the farm’s cancellation and rescheduling policy.

Final Thoughts

Peach picking in Japan generally runs from late June through August, while grape picking usually continues from late July through early October.

The exact season depends on the farm, fruit variety, and weather conditions, so it is always best to confirm the latest information before visiting.

Yamanashi is one of the most famous places for both peaches and grapes, but Chiba, Ibaraki, Tochigi, and Saitama also have farms that are convenient for people living in and around the Kanto region.

For me, the peaches and grapes I tasted in Yamanashi are still some of the most memorable fruit I have eaten in Japan.

The peaches were unbelievably large and sweet, and choosing my own grapes made me so excited that I brought home far more than we needed.

That is part of the charm of fruit picking.

It is not only about eating fresh fruit. The experience of walking through an orchard, choosing what to harvest, and taking it home becomes a seasonal memory of its own.

This year, I am hoping to visit a grape farm in Chiba for the first time.

If you are living in Japan and looking for a summer or early autumn day trip, peach or grape picking may become one of your favorite seasonal discoveries too. 🍑🍇

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Sleep Better During Summer in Japan: Tips for Hot and Humid Nights

Are Japanese Supermarkets Really Cheaper on Tuesdays? What I’ve Learned from Shopping in Japan

Why Is Summer in Japan So Hot? A Foreigner's Guide to Japan's Humid Summers and Heatstroke Prevention

Will Your Company Find Out About Your Side Income in Japan?

What Are We Buying Today? How I Choose Where to Shop in Japan

【Narita Travel #2】AEON Mall Narita: The Perfect Last Stop Before Your Flight

Thinking About Buying a Home in Japan? Here's What Prices Look Like by Region

Japan's Summer Vacation Isn't the Same Everywhere — Here's Why

You Haven't Missed Them Yet — 20 Kanto Fireworks Festivals Still Happening This Summer