Laundry in a Japanese Summer Is More Complicated Than I Expected

When I first moved to Japan, I assumed summer would be the easiest season for laundry. Hot weather should mean clothes dry quickly, right?

After living here for many years, though, I have learned that summer laundry in Japan can be surprisingly difficult. Even after the rainy season officially ends, the sky can stay gray for most of the day. It may be sunny in the morning, rain for a short time in the afternoon, and then clear up again as if nothing happened.

For me, sudden rain is not the only reason I prefer indoor drying.

There are several fields near my house, and on windy days, fine soil can blow toward the house. It is especially noticeable on dark T-shirts, towels, and bedding. Seeing small specks of dirt on laundry that had just dried outside was what finally made me stop relying on outdoor drying.

Over time, one spare room in our home gradually became our laundry room. There is no special equipment in it—just drying racks, the air conditioner, and a standing fan—but having a separate space has made indoor laundry much easier.

In this post, I want to share why laundry can take longer to dry during Japan’s humid summer and how we dry clothes indoors using the air conditioner’s dehumidifier mode and a standing fan.

Why Laundry Can Take So Long to Dry in Japan During Summer

Japanese summers are hot, but the humidity is what makes laundry difficult.

Clothes dry when moisture evaporates into the surrounding air. When the air is already humid, that moisture has nowhere to go as quickly. This is why clothes can remain damp for hours even when the temperature is above 30°C.

Before living in Japan, I mostly associated difficult laundry weather with rain. Here, I learned that heat and humidity can be just as frustrating.

A bright morning does not always guarantee a dry afternoon, either. I have hung laundry outside after seeing a sunny forecast, only to notice dark clouds gathering a few hours later. Even a brief shower is enough to make me wonder whether everything needs washing again.

Depending on where you live in Japan, outdoor drying may come with other concerns as well. Some people worry about pollen or yellow dust, while others live near busy roads. In my case, it is the dust from nearby fields.

Of course, I still like the feeling of towels and sheets dried in the sun. But when I know I will be away from home, indoor drying is simply less stressful.

How We Dry Laundry Indoors in Our Spare Room

Our routine is straightforward.

After hanging the laundry, I turn on the air conditioner’s dehumidifier mode. In Japan, this setting is usually labeled ้™คๆนฟ, pronounced “joshitsu,” or sometimes ใƒ‰ใƒฉใ‚ค, meaning “dry.”

The dehumidifier mode helps remove moisture from the room, which makes a noticeable difference on humid or cloudy days.

I also run a standing fan for about one hour after hanging the clothes. I do not leave it on all day. I mainly use it at the beginning to move air around the drying racks and prevent damp air from sitting between the clothes.

The fan is placed a short distance away and aimed toward the lower half of the laundry. A gentle airflow is usually enough. If the fan is too close or too strong, the hangers can move together and the clothes may overlap.

I also try not to crowd the drying rack.

On days when there is a lot of laundry, it is tempting to squeeze everything together. But thick towels, hoodies, jeans, and long sleeves take much longer to dry when they are touching other clothes.

Leaving some space between each item helps air move more freely.

For bath towels, I avoid folding both sides evenly over the rack. Instead, I hang one side slightly longer than the other so less fabric overlaps. This small change helps them dry more evenly.

I also mix longer and shorter items instead of hanging everything at the same height. This leaves more open space underneath and improves airflow around the rack.

None of these steps are complicated, but together they make indoor laundry much more manageable during Japan’s humid summer.

Why Indoor Drying Works Better for Our Home

For a long time, I thought indoor drying was only a backup plan for rainy days.

Now it is simply our usual method.

I do not have to check the weather every hour. I do not worry about a sudden shower while I am shopping. I do not have to inspect dark clothing for dust from the fields after bringing it inside.

There are disadvantages, of course. Using the air conditioner costs electricity, and a room full of laundry can feel crowded. Still, for our home, the convenience is worth it.

Having a separate room also helps. The laundry does not take over the living room, and we can close the door while the air conditioner and fan are running.

This setup may not work for every home in Japan, especially in a small apartment. But even without a dedicated room, the same basic idea can help: reduce humidity, create airflow, and leave space between clothes.

As I write this, the rainy season is officially over, but the sky outside is gray again.

Our laundry is hanging in the spare room, the air conditioner is set to dehumidify, and the fan is running for its usual hour.

It may not be the traditional image of summer laundry, but for our home, it works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Sleep Better During Summer in Japan: Tips for Hot and Humid Nights

Are Japanese Supermarkets Really Cheaper on Tuesdays? What I’ve Learned from Shopping in Japan

Why Is Summer in Japan So Hot? A Foreigner's Guide to Japan's Humid Summers and Heatstroke Prevention

Will Your Company Find Out About Your Side Income in Japan?

What Are We Buying Today? How I Choose Where to Shop in Japan

【Narita Travel #2】AEON Mall Narita: The Perfect Last Stop Before Your Flight

Thinking About Buying a Home in Japan? Here's What Prices Look Like by Region

Peach and Grape Picking in Japan: Seasons, Best Areas, and Tips

Japan's Summer Vacation Isn't the Same Everywhere — Here's Why

You Haven't Missed Them Yet — 20 Kanto Fireworks Festivals Still Happening This Summer