Is a Costco Japan Membership Worth It? Annual Fees, Executive Rewards, and My Real Shopping Experience
When I first considered joining Costco in Japan, the annual fee made me hesitate. Paying every year just for the right to shop felt unusual, especially when regular supermarkets do not charge an entrance fee.
Here is the easiest way to look at it.
If you save around ¥1,000 each time you shop, visiting about six times a year could cover the standard Costco Japan membership fee. For the Executive Membership, spending about ¥264,000 per year, or roughly ¥22,000 per month, on eligible purchases is the point where the 2% reward can roughly cover the extra membership cost.
That does not mean you should spend more just to earn rewards. Costco works best when it replaces part of your normal grocery shopping rather than creating extra shopping.
Which Costco Japan Membership Should You Choose?
Costco Japan offers two main personal membership options.
The standard Gold Star Membership is the simpler choice for people who visit only occasionally. It gives you access to Costco warehouses without the Executive reward benefit.
The Executive Gold Star Membership costs more, but eligible purchases can earn up to 2% back in Executive Rewards.
I currently use the Executive plan. For me, it makes sense because I regularly stock up on the same household supplies and groceries instead of visiting only for seasonal or special items.
People who shop at Costco Japan just a few times a year will probably be fine with the standard option. Those who spend around ¥22,000 a month on eligible purchases may get more value from the Executive plan.
How Much Shopping Covers the Annual Membership Fee?
There is no single answer because it depends on how much cheaper your usual items are compared with nearby supermarkets and drugstores.
As a simple estimate:
Saving about ¥500 per visit means around 11 visits a year
Saving about ¥1,000 per visit means around six visits
Saving about ¥1,500 per visit means around four visits
I try not to count the entire receipt as “savings.” I only compare products I would have bought somewhere else anyway.
For example, before buying toilet paper or avocados, I often compare Costco with the supermarket or home center near my house. Some products are clearly better value, while others are not especially cheap.
That is why having a regular shopping list matters more than the number of times you visit.
When Does the Costco Japan Executive Membership Pay Off?
The annual fee difference between the standard and Executive memberships is about ¥5,280.
At a 2% reward rate, the calculation is:
¥5,280 ÷ 2% = ¥264,000
So, spending approximately ¥264,000 a year on eligible purchases can generate about ¥5,280 in rewards and roughly cover the extra fee.
Not every payment necessarily earns the full reward rate, so this should be treated as a useful guide rather than a guarantee. It is better to check what you already spend than to increase your shopping just to reach the number.
Costco Japan rewards are not the same as instant supermarket points. They are added later and can be used toward eligible purchases at Costco. It is also worth checking the balance and expiration period so the reward does not go unused.
What I Always Buy at Costco Japan
My cart is usually very predictable.
I almost always pick up toilet paper, kitchen paper towels, a box of Shin Ramyun, bagels, pork belly, and avocados.
The toilet paper and kitchen paper take up space, but they are things we use constantly, so buying large packs does not feel wasteful.
I divide the pork belly into smaller portions and freeze it as soon as I get home. The bagels also go straight into the freezer, and I take them out one at a time.
The avocados are one of the main reasons I enjoy shopping there. The ones at my local supermarket can be quite small or inconsistent. At Costco, I often find larger avocados in better condition. Prices change, of course, but when I consider the size and freshness together, they usually feel like good value.
I still compare prices rather than assuming everything at Costco is cheaper. That small habit keeps the membership useful instead of turning each trip into an excuse to overspend.
How I Get the Most Value From Costco Japan
When I first moved to Japan, I assumed Costco was mainly for large families. After living here for years, I realized it can also work well for couples or smaller households.
The key is having enough storage space and being willing to freeze food.
I do not go in thinking, “What looks cheap today?” I go in knowing what I need. This makes it easier to walk past large snacks, seasonal products, and tempting limited-time items.
My rule is simple: I buy products that are already part of our normal routine.
That approach makes the annual fee easier to justify because Costco is replacing purchases from other stores, not adding another layer of spending.
Who May Not Need an Executive Membership?
The Executive plan may not be the best option if you only visit a few times a year, have limited storage, or often throw away food before finishing it.
It may also be unnecessary if your usual purchases do not qualify for the full reward benefit.
The standard Gold Star Membership is often the safer starting point for new members. After tracking your spending for a year, you can decide whether upgrading would actually save money.
Is Costco Japan Actually Worth the Membership Fee?
For me, yes.
Costco Japan has been worthwhile not because I buy everything there, but because I know exactly what I am going for. Toilet paper, kitchen paper, pork belly, bagels, Shin Ramyun, and avocados are products I already use, so they fit naturally into my household budget.
Before joining, look at the groceries and daily supplies you buy every month. Then ask how many of those purchases Costco could realistically replace.
If you save about ¥1,000 per visit, the standard fee may be recovered in around six trips. If eligible annual spending reaches about ¥264,000, the Executive Membership may offer better value through rewards.
In the end, Costco becomes worthwhile when you buy with a plan—not simply because the packages are large.




Comments
Post a Comment