Still Looking for Summer Plans? These Kanto Fireworks Festivals Are Not Over Yet
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Before moving to Japan, I had only seen Japanese summer festivals in anime, movies, and travel videos.
Around the world, there are many famous festivals that attract millions of visitors every year.
Brazil has Carnival, Germany has Oktoberfest, and Spain has La Tomatina.
After living in Japan for many years, however, I came to feel that Japanese summer festivals have a unique charm of their own.
The streets lined with food stalls.
Shrine paths illuminated by paper lanterns.
People walking around in colorful yukata.
And perhaps most importantly, local people of all ages gathering together to enjoy a summer evening with family and friends.
These traditional festivals, filled with Japan's unique atmosphere and culture, have become popular not only among Japanese people but also with visitors from all over the world.
I still remember the first time I experienced a Japanese summer festival in person.
My first thought was very simple:
"Japanese festivals look incredibly fun."
The lively food stalls, the sound of drums echoing through the streets, and the crowds enjoying the warm summer night made me feel as if I had stepped into the world of an anime or a movie.
As the years passed, something changed.
What I once experienced as a foreign visitor gradually became one of the seasonal traditions I look forward to every year.
Now, whenever summer approaches, I naturally find myself wondering:
"When is the festival in our neighborhood this year?"
For this article, I decided to put together a ranking of some of Japan's most famous summer festivals, including their dates, locations, estimated visitor numbers, and reservation information.
The ranking is based on factors such as popularity, history, scale, visitor numbers, highlights, accessibility, and my own experience living in Japan and visiting local festivals over the years.
Japan's Top 10 Summer Festivals
#1 Gion Matsuri (Kyoto)
Event Period: July 1 - July 31
Location: Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture
Estimated Visitors: Over 1 million
Reservation: Reserved seating available
Gion Matsuri is one of Japan's three great festivals and is perhaps the most famous summer festival in the country.
Held throughout the entire month of July, its spectacular Yamahoko float procession is truly unforgettable.
For many international visitors, Gion Matsuri is exactly what comes to mind when they imagine a traditional Japanese summer festival.
If you want to experience the classic atmosphere of old Kyoto during summer, this festival should definitely be on your list.
#2 Aomori Nebuta Festival
Event Period: August 2 - August 7
Location: Aomori City, Aomori Prefecture
Estimated Visitors: Around 2.8 million
Reservation: Not required
The Aomori Nebuta Festival is famous for its enormous illuminated floats moving through the streets at night.
The size and energy of the giant lantern floats are difficult to fully appreciate through photos or videos alone.
As someone who has only seen it on television so far, this is one of the festivals I personally hope to visit one day.
#3 Awa Odori Festival
Event Period: August 12 - August 15
Location: Tokushima City, Tokushima Prefecture
Estimated Visitors: Around 1.3 million
Reservation: Reserved seating available
Awa Odori is famous for the phrase:
"The dancers are fools, and the watchers are fools too."
Many visitor groups allow tourists to join in, making it one of Japan's most interactive festivals.
Unlike many festivals where visitors simply watch, Awa Odori allows you to become part of the celebration yourself.
#4 Tenjin Matsuri
Event Period: July 24 - July 25
Location: Osaka City, Osaka Prefecture
Estimated Visitors: Around 1.3 million
Reservation: Some reserved seating available
Tenjin Matsuri is another of Japan's three great festivals.
Its land procession, river procession, and fireworks display make it one of the few events where visitors can enjoy both a traditional festival and a fireworks show on the same day.
If you only have time to attend one festival in the Kansai region, this would be a very strong candidate.
#5 Sendai Tanabata Festival
Event Period: August 6 - August 8
Location: Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture
Estimated Visitors: Around 2 million
Reservation: Not required
The colorful decorations that fill the streets make Sendai Tanabata one of the most photogenic festivals in Japan.
It has become increasingly popular with international visitors in recent years.
If you enjoy photography, this may be one of the best festivals in Japan to visit.
#6 Akita Kanto Festival
Event Period: August 3 - August 6
Location: Akita City, Akita Prefecture
Estimated Visitors: Around 1.3 million
Reservation: Not required
Performers balance enormous bamboo poles covered with lanterns on their shoulders, foreheads, and hips.
The skill and concentration required are truly impressive.
Among all Japanese festivals, this is one of the events that feels most like watching a traditional performance art.
#7 Yosakoi Festival
Event Period: Early August
Location: Kochi City, Kochi Prefecture
Estimated Visitors: Around 1 million
Reservation: Not required
Yosakoi is the birthplace of the energetic dance style that has spread throughout Japan.
The sound of naruko clappers and the lively dancing create an atmosphere that naturally lifts your spirits.
Even if you have never heard of Yosakoi before, the energy of the dancers quickly becomes contagious.
#8 Gujo Odori
Event Period: July - September
Location: Gujo City, Gifu Prefecture
Estimated Visitors: Around 300,000
Reservation: Not required
Gujo Odori is famous for being one of Japan's longest-running Bon dance festivals.
During the Obon season, visitors can even join the famous all-night dancing event known as Tetsuya Odori.
Unlike the large city festivals, Gujo Odori offers visitors a chance to experience a more local and traditional side of Japan.
#9 Nagasaki Kunchi Festival
Event Period: October 7 - October 9
Location: Nagasaki City, Nagasaki Prefecture
Estimated Visitors: Around 200,000
Reservation: Not required
Influenced by Nagasaki's long history of international trade, this festival has a unique atmosphere unlike any other in Japan.
Its dragon dances and traditional performances are particularly memorable.
Among all the festivals on this list, this may be the one that feels the most different from the image many people have of Japanese festivals.
#10 Narita Gion Festival
Event Period: Early July
Location: Narita City, Chiba Prefecture
Estimated Visitors: Around 450,000
Reservation: Not required
The Narita Gion Festival takes place in the city where I currently live.
Many international travelers know Narita only because of the airport, but the city itself has a long history and a surprisingly vibrant festival culture.
When I saw the festival for the first time, I was surprised by how powerful and exciting it felt in person.
Large and famous festivals are wonderful, but local festivals often have a warmth and friendliness that make them just as memorable.
Please note that festival dates and reserved seating information may change from year to year.
Be sure to check each festival's official website before traveling.
I have also included a list of useful tourism websites and official information sources at the end of this article to help with your trip planning. ๐
Things to Know Before Visiting a Japanese Summer Festival
Popular festivals in Japan can become extremely crowded, especially around train stations, popular viewing spots, and food stall areas.
If possible, I would recommend arriving one or two hours before the main events begin.
After living through several Japanese summers myself, I have learned that preparation can make a huge difference to how enjoyable the experience is.
When visiting a summer festival, I would personally recommend bringing:
- Drinking water
- A small towel
- A mobile battery pack
- Cash
- A portable fan
Although cashless payments are becoming more common in Japan, many food stalls still operate on a cash-only basis.
Japanese summer evenings can also remain surprisingly hot and humid, even after sunset.
Staying hydrated and preparing in advance can make your festival experience much more comfortable and enjoyable.
If you plan to wear a yukata, comfortable footwear is also worth considering, as you may end up walking much farther than expected.
Final Thoughts
Japanese summer festivals are much more than tourist attractions.
For local communities, they are important events that mark the arrival of summer and bring people together.
When I first arrived in Japan, I simply thought:
"These festivals look lively and fun."
Back then, I experienced them as a visitor discovering something new and exciting.
But after living in Japan for many years, I noticed something had changed.
Now, as summer approaches, I find myself asking a different question every year:
"When is our local festival this year?"
Somehow, Japanese summer festivals quietly became one of the seasonal traditions I look forward to the most.
Large and famous festivals are certainly impressive, but smaller local festivals often have their own charm, warmth, and sense of community.
While researching this article, I realized that there are still many famous festivals that I have never had the chance to visit myself. ๐
Traveling to another city just to experience a local festival somehow feels like the perfect way to spend a summer vacation in Japan.
Personally, I still hope to visit the Nebuta Festival, Awa Odori, and Gion Matsuri one day.
Living in Japan has taught me that there is always another festival, tradition, or local event waiting to be discovered.
Have you already planned your summer vacation this year?
If you could visit just one Japanese summer festival, which one would you choose? ๐
Useful Festival Information and Tourism Websites
๐ฎ Learn more about Gion Matsuri
๐ฎ Learn more about the Aomori Nebuta Festival
๐ฎ Learn more about Awa Odori
๐ฎ Learn more about Tenjin Matsuri
๐ฎ Learn more about the Sendai Tanabata Festival
๐ฎ Learn more about the Akita Kanto Festival
๐ฎ Learn more about the Yosakoi Festival
๐ฎ Learn more about Gujo Odori
๐ฎ Learn more about the Nagasaki Kunchi Festival
๐ฎ Learn more about the Narita Gion Festival
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
.png)

.png)
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment