What Are We Buying Today? How I Choose Where to Shop in Japan
A supermarket was for food, and a drugstore was for medicine. That was about as far as my understanding went.
After living here for many years, my shopping routine looks completely different.
We usually go to a supermarket for vegetables and dinner ingredients, a home center for detergent and cat supplies, Gyomu Super for frozen food, and Hanamasa when we want to buy meat in larger quantities.
The destination changes with the shopping list.
It took me a while to realize that these stores are not simply different versions of the same place. Each one has its own role in everyday life.
For anyone who has recently moved to Japan, here is how I have learned to use supermarkets, drugstores, home centers, Gyomu Super, Hanamasa, and other everyday shops.
Supermarkets are still the center of everyday shopping
For fresh food and daily meals, supermarkets are the stores I visit most often.
Vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, milk, bread, bento boxes, and prepared dishes are all available in one place.
Japan has major supermarket chains such as Aeon, Seiyu, and Ito-Yokado, as well as many regional chains.
At first, I thought most supermarkets were more or less the same.
After visiting them regularly, however, I started noticing their differences.
One store may have cheaper vegetables, while another has a better meat section. Some are known for their prepared food, and others are popular because of their point programs or weekly discount days.
Even supermarkets in the same neighborhood can have very different strengths.
Evening shopping can also be useful if you are looking for discounted meals.
Bento boxes, sushi, and prepared food are often marked down later in the day. I still find myself checking the stickered section whenever I shop in the evening.
If the timing is right, deciding what to eat for dinner suddenly becomes much cheaper.
I mostly visit drugstores when I actually need medicine
Before living in Japan, I imagined drugstores as places that sold little more than medicine and basic toiletries.
Many Japanese drugstores are much larger than that.
Depending on the location, they may also sell cosmetics, tissues, snacks, drinks, bread, milk, frozen food, and household products. Some items can be cheaper than at a supermarket, especially during point campaigns or special discount days.
Chains such as Matsumoto Kiyoshi, Welcia, Sugi Pharmacy, and Sundrug all have their own sales and reward programs.
However, my own shopping habits are a little different.
I rarely visit drugstores unless I actually need medicine or a particular toiletry.
We usually buy detergent and larger household supplies at a home center, so drugstores are not a regular stop for us.
Still, they can be very convenient when you need medicine, cosmetics, drinks, or a few small items without going to a full-sized supermarket.
In Japan, a drugstore often feels more like a compact discount shop with a pharmacy inside than the medicine-only store I once imagined.
Home centers are where our household supplies end up
When I first heard the term “home center,” I imagined a building filled with tools, screws, and wooden boards.
Then I walked into one and found gardening supplies, storage boxes, pet products, bicycles, camping equipment, small appliances, furniture, and seasonal goods all under the same roof.
It felt like several different stores had been combined into one large building.
As a cat owner, I visit home centers more often than I ever expected.
In our house, detergent, cat litter, pet food, and other household supplies often end up in the same shopping cart.
We may go there because we are running low on detergent, then remember that we also need cat litter or a storage box.
That is how a quick errand somehow turns into a much longer visit.
I also tend to wander through the pet section and the gardening area even when neither was part of the original plan.
Home centers change noticeably with the seasons.
In summer, the entrance may be filled with fans, insect repellent, outdoor items, and camping supplies. In winter, heaters and cold-weather products take over the same space.
They are practical stores, but they are also surprisingly enjoyable places to browse.
Gyomu Super is useful when you know what you will actually use
The first time I saw the name Gyomu Super, I assumed it was only for restaurant owners or people working in the food business.
Anyone can shop there.
Gyomu Super is especially known for large packages, frozen food, imported products, and ingredients that are not always easy to find in ordinary supermarkets.
Frozen vegetables, frozen fruit, meat, cheese, sauces, desserts, and restaurant-sized items fill the shelves.
It can be convenient for larger families, meal preparation, or anyone who likes to keep the freezer well stocked.
I have also learned not to get carried away by the size of the packages.
A low price is not much of a bargain if half of the food stays forgotten in the freezer.
These days, I mainly look for things I already know we will finish, especially frozen food and ingredients that are easy to store.
The imported products are another reason I enjoy looking around. Even when I do not buy much, I often find something I have never seen at a regular supermarket.
Hanamasa is convenient when we want more meat than usual
Hanamasa was another store I initially assumed was mainly for professional cooks.
It is open to ordinary shoppers, and meat is clearly the main attraction.
Large packs of beef, pork, chicken, and other ingredients are common, making it useful for barbecues, parties, meal preparation, or filling the freezer.
The store also carries frozen food, imported products, seasonings, and commercial-sized ingredients.
Some of the package sizes and imported items remind me of a smaller, more casual mix of Costco and Gyomu Super.
The important difference is that Hanamasa does not require a membership.
You can simply walk in, look around, and buy what you need.
Even when I do not have a specific shopping list, it can be interesting to browse because the product selection is often different from what I see at my usual supermarket.
Sometimes we make late-night supermarket trips for ice cream
One of the most convenient things about our neighborhood is that we have both a 24-hour Trial and a 24-hour Hanamasa nearby.
Because of that, we sometimes decide to go shopping very late at night.
That may sound like we are making an emergency grocery run.
Usually, it is nothing that serious.
Most of the time, my husband suddenly says that he wants ice cream.
So we go out.
The supermarket is much quieter than it is during the day, and we can take our time looking around without the usual crowds.
Standing in front of the freezer and deciding which ice cream to buy feels less like an errand and more like a tiny late-night outing.
I have come to enjoy the atmosphere of supermarkets at that hour.
Even after living in Japan for many years, there is still something slightly amusing about being able to buy meat, household supplies, and ice cream in the middle of the night.
Final thoughts
These days, our destination depends on what has run out at home.
Sometimes it is vegetables or dinner ingredients.
Sometimes it is detergent, cat litter, or frozen food.
And sometimes it is nothing more urgent than my husband’s sudden craving for ice cream.
Supermarkets, drugstores, home centers, Gyomu Super, Hanamasa, and Trial all serve slightly different purposes.
Once I stopped trying to buy everything in one place, shopping became much easier.
I now choose the store based on what we actually need rather than simply going to the nearest supermarket every time.
Even after living in Japan for many years, I still enjoy walking into a store I do not usually visit and seeing what makes it different.
Sometimes I find a useful bargain.
Sometimes we simply come home with ice cream. 🍦🛒





Comments
Post a Comment