Is a Car Necessary to Live in Japan? Car Life in Tokyo and Rural Japan Is Completely Different
Do you need a car to live in Japan?
The answer is probably not the same for everyone.
People living in central Tokyo and those living in rural areas often have completely different views about owning a car.
I used to live in Shinjuku, Tokyo.
Today, I live in Narita City in Chiba Prefecture.
Even though both places are in Japan, I was surprised by how much the need for a car and the cost of owning one could change simply depending on where you live.
In this article, I would like to share my own experiences and talk about what car life in Japan is really like.
In Tokyo, You Can Live Comfortably Without a Car
A few years ago, I lived in Shinjuku with a friend.
We shared a 2LDK apartment in an eight-story building.
The monthly rent was ¥180,000.
That may sound expensive, and it probably does sound like we were living in a luxury apartment.
In reality, we split the rent in half, so each of us paid around ¥90,000 per month.
Living in Shinjuku was incredibly convenient.
Train lines and subway stations were everywhere.
Supermarkets, hospitals, restaurants, and government offices were all within walking distance or just a short train ride away.
Because of that, I rarely felt that I needed a car for daily life.
In fact, many people in central Tokyo probably feel that owning a car creates more financial burden than convenience.
One of the biggest reasons is parking.
The underground parking space in our apartment building cost ¥60,000 per month.
When I first heard the price, I was genuinely shocked.
"¥60,000 just to park a car?"
That was my immediate reaction.
The apartment rent was ¥180,000, while parking cost ¥60,000.
In other words, parking alone cost one-third of the rent.
In some parts of Japan, ¥60,000 is enough to rent an entire apartment.
Paying that amount every month not for a place for people to live, but for a place for a single car, was something I had never imagined before moving to Tokyo.
That was the reality of living in central Tokyo.
This was also before the COVID pandemic.
Since then, property prices and rents across Tokyo have increased significantly.
I have heard that the rent for the apartment I lived in has gone up as well.
However, I have no idea whether the underground parking fees have increased too.
In Narita, Parking Is Free — But a Car Is Almost Essential
Today, I live in a detached house in Narita City, Chiba.
Because our house has its own parking space, I do not pay any monthly parking fees.
When I think back to paying ¥60,000 per month in Shinjuku, it almost feels like living in a different country rather than a different part of Japan.
However, Narita has a completely different challenge.
Life without a car can be inconvenient.
Of course, if you live near a train station, public transportation is available.
But when you think about grocery shopping, carrying large items, visiting hospitals, or driving family members around, having a car makes a huge difference.
This is especially true in rural areas of Japan.
In recent years, many local bus routes have been reduced or discontinued altogether.
Driver shortages and declining passenger numbers are often cited as the reasons.
For younger people, this may not seem like a major issue.
But what happens when people become older and can no longer drive?
How will they get to hospitals or supermarkets?
I believe this will become one of the biggest challenges facing rural Japan in the future.
In Japan, You Secure a Parking Space Before Buying a Car
Another thing that surprised me after moving to Japan was the existence of the parking certificate system, known as Shako Shomei.
In South Korea, it is generally possible to buy a car without proving that you already have a parking space.
Japan is different.
When purchasing a regular passenger car in Japan, you are generally required to prove that you have secured a place to park it.
In other words, in Japan you do not:
"Buy a car first and then look for parking."
Instead, you:
"Secure parking first and then buy the car."
The first time I learned about this system, I was genuinely surprised.
Looking back now, however, it actually makes a lot of sense.
Without this rule, residential streets and neighborhoods could quickly become overcrowded with illegally parked vehicles.
Especially in densely populated cities like Tokyo, this system probably plays an important role in keeping cities organized.
Owning a Car in Japan Is Not Cheap
Buying the car itself is only the beginning.
There are many ongoing costs that come with owning a car in Japan.
Annual automobile tax.
Vehicle inspections every two years (Shaken).
Mandatory liability insurance.
Optional private insurance.
Fuel costs.
Maintenance and tire replacement.
Expressway tolls.
And in large cities, expensive parking fees.
The vehicle inspection system, known as Shaken, is often one of the biggest surprises for foreigners living in Japan.
The cost includes not only the inspection itself but also taxes and mandatory insurance.
Depending on the age and type of vehicle, it is not unusual to pay between ¥100,000 and ¥150,000 or even more.
Because of this, there is a common saying in Japan:
"It costs more to keep a car than to buy one."
There are countries with higher purchase taxes than Japan.
For that reason, it would not be accurate to say that Japan has the most expensive car ownership costs in the world.
However, Japan is certainly one of the more expensive developed countries when it comes to keeping a car long term.
In Tokyo, a Car Is Optional. In Rural Japan, It Is Essential.
In Tokyo, many people live comfortably without owning a car.
Considering parking costs and maintenance expenses, not owning a car can actually be the more practical choice.
In rural areas, however, life without a car can be extremely difficult.
Ironically, the places in Japan where you do not need a car often have the highest parking fees.
Meanwhile, the places where a car is essential often have the cheapest parking.
Perhaps that is one of the interesting contradictions of life in Japan.
So, do you need a car to live in Japan?
The answer depends not on whether you live in Japan,
but on where in Japan you live.
If you are planning to move to Japan in the future, I think it is important to consider more than just rent prices.
Parking costs.
Car taxes.
Vehicle inspections.
Insurance.
And the availability of public transportation.
All of these factors can have a major impact on your daily life.
A car is not simply a way to get from one place to another.
Depending on where you live, it can become an essential partner that supports your everyday life. ๐๐ ✨
.png)
.png)
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment