I Thought Michi-no-Eki Were Just Rest Stops. I Was Completely Wrong.
During my first few years in Japan, I drove past plenty of signs that said Michi-no-Eki.
I assumed they were simply places to use the restroom, stretch my legs, or buy a drink before continuing the drive. In my mind, they were smaller and simpler versions of highway service areas.
Then I finally started looking around instead of heading straight back to the car.
There were vegetables picked that morning, local sweets, freshly baked bread, regional seasonings, and foods I had never seen at an ordinary supermarket. Some places had restaurants, parks, hot springs, observation areas, or small shops filled with local products.
Before I realized it, I had started looking forward to seeing the next Michi-no-Eki sign.
These days, I do not always stop because I need a break. Sometimes I go because I know exactly what I want to buy.
Near where I live, Tomisato is famous for watermelon. During watermelon season, I sometimes visit a local produce market there specifically to buy one. Tomisato has been known as one of Japan’s major watermelon-producing areas for many years, and locally grown watermelons are commonly sold at farmers’ markets from around late May through the middle of July.
I also love corn, so there is another roadside station I visit almost every year when fresh corn is in season.
For me, that has become one of the best things about these places. A Michi-no-Eki is not only somewhere you happen to stop. It can be somewhere you deliberately visit because a particular fruit, vegetable, or regional specialty is finally available.
How Many Michi-no-Eki Are There in Japan?
I was surprised to learn that there are far more Michi-no-Eki than I had imagined.
As of December 2025, Japan had 1,231 officially registered roadside stations. When the system began in 1993, there were only 103.
Honestly, I never imagined there would be so many.
They can be found from Hokkaido to Okinawa, but they do not feel like identical branches of the same business.
A roadside station near the coast may sell fresh fish, dried seafood, or local seafood dishes. One in a mountain area might focus on mushrooms, wild vegetables, pickles, or locally grown rice. In fruit-growing regions, seasonal peaches, grapes, apples, strawberries, or watermelons may be the main attraction.
That is probably why I never get bored of visiting them.
Even when the buildings look similar from the road, the products inside usually reflect the surrounding area.
I once stood in front of an unfamiliar vegetable for several minutes, wondering what it was and how people normally cooked it. I did not buy it that day, but I still remember looking at it and thinking that there was much more regional variety in Japan than I had realized.
Small discoveries like that are part of the fun.
Are Michi-no-Eki Run by the Japanese Government?
Because Michi-no-Eki are part of an official national system, I used to assume that the Japanese government directly operated them.
The actual system is a little different.
Japan’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism registers qualifying facilities as official Michi-no-Eki. The facilities themselves are generally established by local governments, while their daily operation may be handled by municipalities, regional organizations, or private operators.
That is why every Michi-no-Eki has its own personality.
One may feel like a large farmers’ market. Another may be known for its bakery, restaurant, hot spring, campsite, playground, or scenic views.
They share the same basic role, but each location presents its own area in a different way.
Why I Now Look Forward to Every Michi-no-Eki
Michi-no-Eki were originally designed to provide drivers with a place to rest, access road and tourism information, and connect with the surrounding community.
Parking lots and restrooms are usually available even when the shops are closed. Inside the main building, visitors may find local maps, sightseeing information, restaurants, produce markets, and shops selling regional goods.
But for me, the local food section is usually the first place I go.
In the past, I would use the restroom, buy a bottled drink, and leave.
Now I walk through the produce area first.
At some roadside stations, vegetables are marked with the grower’s name. Shelves may be filled with locally made miso, pickles, jam, rice crackers, noodles, bread, or sweets that are difficult to find in regular supermarkets.
Not everything is necessarily cheaper, but price is not always the main reason I go.
When I buy watermelon in Tomisato or make my yearly trip for corn, I am looking for something seasonal and local. There is also something enjoyable about buying produce close to the place where it was grown.
Sometimes I enter planning to buy only one thing and leave with vegetables, bread, snacks, and another product I had never seen before.
That happens more often than I would like to admit.
For foreigners living in Japan or planning a road trip here, visiting a Michi-no-Eki is one of the easiest ways to experience local food and regional culture without traveling far from the main roads.
The Soft-Serve Ice Cream Is Often Part of the Trip
Another reason people visit Michi-no-Eki is the food.
Depending on the region, the restaurant may serve meals made with local meat, seafood, vegetables, or rice. Other locations are known for ramen, handmade noodles, curry, bakery items, or regional desserts.
Then there is the soft-serve ice cream.
At first, I thought all soft-serve ice cream would taste more or less the same.
I was wrong.
Many roadside stations create flavors using local products. Milk, strawberry, peach, grape, matcha, sweet potato, peanut, chestnut, and other regional flavors are common.
Now, when I arrive at a new roadside station, I often check the soft-serve menu even when I was not planning to eat anything.
Food memories tend to stay with me.
I may forget the exact name of a small town, but I will still remember the corn I bought there, the watermelon I carried home, or the unusual ice cream I tried during the drive.
Those memories sometimes become the reason I return the following year.
Stamp Rallies Can Make Driving More Fun
Many regions also organize Michi-no-Eki stamp rallies.
Visitors collect a stamp from each roadside station they visit, and some people try to complete an entire regional route.
I have never tried to visit every location, but I understand why people enjoy it. Collecting even a few stamps can turn an ordinary drive into a small challenge and introduce you to towns you might otherwise pass without stopping.
Check the Opening Hours Before Visiting
One detail that often surprises foreign visitors is that 24-hour parking and restrooms do not mean the entire facility stays open all night.
Produce markets, bakeries, restaurants, and souvenir shops may close in the late afternoon or early evening.
Seasonal products may also sell out early.
This matters especially when you are going for something specific.
When I want local corn or watermelon, arriving late in the day is risky. The best produce may already be gone, even though the parking area is still open.
Before making a special trip, it is worth checking the facility’s official website or social media page for opening hours, closing days, seasonal availability, and restaurant schedules.
Can You Sleep Overnight at a Michi-no-Eki?
Lately, another question has been on my mind.
Can you legally sleep overnight at a Michi-no-Eki?
The parking areas are primarily intended for drivers who need a safe place to rest. Taking a short nap because you are too tired to continue driving is different from treating the parking lot as a campsite.
Rules can vary by location.
Some facilities clearly prohibit planned overnight stays. Others have designated RV parks or nearby campsites for travelers who want to sleep in their vehicles.
Even where resting overnight is tolerated, setting up chairs, tables, cooking equipment, or taking up several parking spaces can cause problems for other visitors.
That is why checking the rules of the specific location is important rather than assuming the same policy applies everywhere.
A Michi-no-Eki Can Be the Destination
I used to think roadside stations were only places between one destination and another.
Now, I see them differently.
Sometimes I stop because I need a restroom. Sometimes I want to see what local vegetables are in season. Other times, I am going specifically to buy watermelon, corn, bread, or something the region is known for.
That small sense of purpose makes the drive more enjoyable.
Even after living in Japan for many years, I still come across foods, towns, and local products I have never seen before.
Every time I visit another Michi-no-Eki, I seem to discover something I was not expecting.
And lately, one question keeps coming back to me:
Can you really sleep overnight at a Michi-no-Eki?
The answer is not as simple as yes or no.
Next time, I will look more closely at the difference between taking a necessary rest and using a parking lot for planned overnight accommodation, as well as the rules drivers should check before spending the night.




Comments
Post a Comment