Side Hustle Income in Japan: Do You Need to File a Tax Return?

 

Do You Need to File a Tax Return If You Earn Side Income in Japan?

I just finished paying my withholding tax, and honestly, taxes have been on my mind ever since.

If paying that one bill was the end of it, life would be much easier... but unfortunately, that's not how it works. ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Lately, I've been trying new things like blogging, YouTube, TikTok, and Instagram. While learning about all of this, one question suddenly came to mind:

"What happens if I start earning money from a side hustle?"

Once I get curious about something, I can't stop researching it. ๐Ÿ˜Š

So I decided to gather some information, and I hope this summary will also help others who are wondering about the same thing.

Do You Need to File a Tax Return Right Away?

The first thing I learned is that earning side income doesn't automatically mean you have to file a tax return immediately.

Whether you need to file depends on several factors, such as whether you're an employee, self-employed, and how much taxable income you have.

In other words, the first step is understanding whether you're actually required to file.

What Should You Do Now?

Even if you don't need to file a tax return yet, there are a few things you should start doing now.

I found these three habits to be especially important:

  • Keep a record of your income.

  • Track your business-related expenses.

  • Save your receipts and invoices.

For example, if you earn money from your blog, YouTube, Amazon Associates, or other affiliate programs, it's a good idea to keep track of when the income was received, where it came from, and how much you earned.

Likewise, items purchased for your content creation—such as a computer, camera, microphone, editing software, domain name, or web hosting—may qualify as business expenses.

Keeping receipts organized now can save you a lot of trouble later.

Review Your Income Once a Year

In Japan, income and expenses are generally calculated for the calendar year, from January 1 through December 31.

Your taxable income is calculated by subtracting eligible business expenses from your total income.

Whether you need to file a tax return depends on your income and your employment situation.

When Is Tax Return Season?

If you are required to file a tax return, you generally submit it between mid-February and mid-March of the following year.

For example, if you earned income during 2026, you would normally file your tax return during the 2027 tax filing season.

So even if you start earning money today, you don't need to rush to the tax office immediately.

That's why it's so important to keep accurate records of your income, expenses, and receipts throughout the year.

What Happens If You Don't File?

If you're required to file a tax return but fail to do so, the tax office may contact you later.

In some cases, you may have to pay not only the original tax you owe, but also additional charges such as late payment interest and penalties.

These days, online income from advertising or affiliate programs often leaves financial records, so it's not a good idea to assume that "no one will notice because it's online."

Of course, not everyone who earns side income is required to file a tax return.

That's why it's important to understand whether the filing requirement applies to your own situation.

I'm Still Learning Too

One thing I realized while researching this topic is that keeping good records is just as important as understanding whether you need to file a tax return.

Since I've only recently started blogging and creating content on social media, I'm learning step by step myself.

Taxes can seem intimidating at first, but I think they become much less scary once you understand how they work.

In my next post, I'll look into a question many people have:

"How much side income can an employee earn before they may need to file a tax return in Japan?"

I hope this article helps anyone who is starting a blog, creating online content, or exploring a side hustle in Japan. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Sleep Better During Summer in Japan: Tips for Hot and Humid Nights

Are Japanese Supermarkets Really Cheaper on Tuesdays? What I’ve Learned from Shopping in Japan

Why Is Summer in Japan So Hot? A Foreigner's Guide to Japan's Humid Summers and Heatstroke Prevention

Will Your Company Find Out About Your Side Income in Japan?

What Are We Buying Today? How I Choose Where to Shop in Japan

【Narita Travel #2】AEON Mall Narita: The Perfect Last Stop Before Your Flight

Thinking About Buying a Home in Japan? Here's What Prices Look Like by Region

Peach and Grape Picking in Japan: Seasons, Best Areas, and Tips

Japan's Summer Vacation Isn't the Same Everywhere — Here's Why

You Haven't Missed Them Yet — 20 Kanto Fireworks Festivals Still Happening This Summer