Why Do Bugs Get Inside Japanese Homes Even with Window Screens?
When I first moved to Japan, I was relieved to see insect screens on almost every window.
I thought that as long as the screen was closed, bugs would stay outside.
That confidence lasted until I found a tiny flying insect in the living room one summer evening.
The window screen was closed. The front door had not been left open. I could not see any obvious gap.
So where had it come from?
Since then, I have asked myself the same question many times during summer in Japan.
I am not very good with bugs, so even a small one can make me jump. My three Bengal cats, on the other hand, react as if something incredibly exciting has happened.
One cat runs under the table, another stares at the ceiling, and suddenly all three are chasing the same tiny bug through the living room.
It is funny for a few seconds.
Then one of them tries to catch it with their mouth, and I end up chasing both the bug and the cats.
That was what finally made me look into how bugs get inside Japanese homes, even when the window screens seem to be closed properly.
How Bugs Get into Japanese Homes Even with Window Screens
The first place to check is the window screen itself.
In Japanese, a window screen is called amido (็ถฒๆธ).
Many homes in Japan have sliding windows, and depending on the design, the screen may only block insects properly when it is aligned with the correct window panel.
If one of the sliding panels is left partly open, a small gap may form between the window, the frame, and the screen.
The screen may have no holes at all, but mosquitoes and other tiny insects can still slip through that gap.
I had always assumed that “the screen is closed” meant the window was completely protected. After learning how the panels overlap, I started checking the position of the screen as well.
The front door is another common entry point.
We open it to receive packages, take out the trash, carry in groceries, or step outside for a moment.
That may only take a few seconds, but summer insects are often attracted to indoor lights and entrance lamps, especially in the evening.
Sometimes they simply fly in before we notice.
Small insects can also come inside on cardboard boxes, shopping bags, plants, or items that were left outdoors or on a balcony.
Ventilation openings are another possible route.
Japanese homes often have ventilation fans or vents in the kitchen, bathroom, toilet, and other rooms.
Most have covers or filters, but if a cover is loose, damaged, or dirty, tiny insects may find a way through.
One entry point I had never thought about before living in Japan was the air conditioner drain hose.
The drain hose carries condensation water from the air conditioner to the outside.
Depending on how it is installed and its condition, the open end may become one possible entry point for small insects.
Japanese home centers often sell small drain hose caps as a preventive measure.
However, these caps should not simply be attached and forgotten. If dirt collects and blocks the hose, the water may not drain properly, so regular checks are important.
Not every bug comes from outdoors, either.
Tiny flies may be coming from inside the home.
Fruit flies are often attracted to food waste, overripe fruit, leftover drinks, and dirty kitchen drains. Small gnats may also appear around damp houseplant soil.
So when the windows are closed but bugs keep appearing, it may be worth checking for an indoor source as well as an entry point.
Simple Ways to Keep Bugs Out of Your Home in Japan
I am not planning to turn my home into a completely bug-proof fortress.
I just want to remove the most obvious entry points first.
This summer, I plan to check whether the window screen is aligned correctly whenever I open a sliding window.
I will also try not to leave the front door open longer than necessary, especially at night.
Cleaning the kitchen and bathroom drains regularly should help reduce places where tiny flies may gather or breed.
I also want to check the air conditioner drain hose and make sure there are no obvious gaps around ventilation covers.
Food waste and unfinished drinks are another easy place to start, so I will try not to leave them sitting out.
None of these steps is difficult, but together they may reduce the number of bugs that make it inside.
Japanese home centers and drugstores usually have large insect-control sections during summer.
You can find products for mosquitoes, flies, window screens, entrances, drains, and air conditioner hoses.
Seeing so many different products made me realize that summer bug control is simply a normal part of daily life in Japan.
For people living with pets, choosing products needs a little more care.
Before using sprays, repellents, traps, or other insect-control products, check the label carefully to see whether they can be used in homes with cats or dogs.
It is also important to check whether pets need to be kept away during use or for a certain period afterward.
Final Thoughts
Before living in Japan, I thought window screens would solve most insect problems.
Now I know that bugs may enter through a gap in a sliding window, the front door, a ventilation opening, or possibly an air conditioner drain hose.
Some may not have entered from outside at all.
I know I will probably still find the occasional bug in the living room.
At least now I have a better idea of where to check first.
My three Bengal cats will probably continue treating every tiny insect like the biggest event of the day.
They can chase it if they really want to.
I just wish they would stop trying to eat it. ๐
Sources
This article was written with reference to publicly available guidance from Japanese local governments, as well as information published by window, housing-equipment, air-conditioner, and home-improvement companies.
The possible entry points and suitable insect-control methods may vary depending on the design of your home and the surrounding environment. Always follow the product instructions carefully, especially in homes with children or pets.




Comments
Post a Comment