I Used Only 0.15GB in a Month: Comparing Mobile Phone Plans in Japan
I currently use Docomo MAX, an unlimited data plan from NTT Docomo. Because unlimited data sounded convenient, I assumed it was the safest option. I never had to worry about running out of data, so I simply kept the same plan.
One day, I opened My docomo out of curiosity and checked my data usage for the previous month.
The number on the screen was just 0.15GB.
I stared at it for a moment because I had expected it to be much higher.
The reason became obvious once I thought about how I actually use my phone. At home, I am almost always connected to Wi-Fi. I rarely watch dramas, movies, Netflix, or YouTube on my phone when I am outside.
What I use most often is an e-book app.
I usually download books while connected to Wi-Fi, and once they are saved on my phone, reading them uses little or no mobile data. Even though I spend a fair amount of time on my phone, that does not necessarily mean I use much mobile data.
Seeing 0.15GB made me question why I was still paying for an unlimited plan in the first place.
That was when I started comparing mobile phone plans in Japan, including Docomo, ahamo, povo, LINEMO, Rakuten Mobile, and low-cost SIM providers.
Why Are ahamo, povo, and LINEMO Cheaper?
Japan’s mobile phone market can feel confusing, especially when you see so many different service names.
The basic relationship is:
Docomo offers ahamo
au offers povo
SoftBank offers LINEMO
I already knew that ahamo belonged to Docomo. What I was unsure about was the signal quality.
Because ahamo costs much less than a standard Docomo plan, I wondered whether the reception might be weaker or whether it would be more difficult to connect in certain places.
What I had misunderstood was not the network itself, but the type of service being offered.
ahamo uses the Docomo network, povo uses the au network, and LINEMO uses the SoftBank network. They are not independent budget carriers borrowing a small part of those networks.
Their lower prices mainly come from how the services are operated. Applications, plan changes, and most customer support are handled online, which reduces the need for extensive in-store assistance.
Traditional plans from Docomo, au, and SoftBank often include access to physical shops, staff support, family discounts, home internet bundle discounts, and additional services.
Online plans are more streamlined. They are designed for people who are comfortable completing procedures themselves through a website or app.
Once I understood that, the price difference made much more sense. A lower price does not automatically mean a weaker signal. In many cases, it means receiving less face-to-face support.
Why ahamo Started to Look More Reasonable for Me
Since I already use Docomo, ahamo was the first alternative I looked at seriously.
My current mobile phone bill is around ¥6,000 per month.
ahamo’s standard plan includes 30GB of data and five-minute domestic calls. There is also an optional unlimited domestic calling add-on, as well as a larger 110GB data option for people who use much more mobile data.
For me, even 30GB would be far more than I need.
My actual usage was only 0.15GB.
Even if my usage increased considerably in some months, I would still be nowhere near 30GB. I also do not need the 110GB option unless my habits change and I begin watching a lot of video outside the house.
Moving from Docomo to ahamo also feels less complicated than switching to a completely different carrier. In general, a Docomo user can keep the same phone number and continue using the Docomo network without completing a standard MNP transfer to another company.
However, the monthly fee is not the only thing that matters.
Before changing plans, I would need to check whether I use Docomo carrier email, voicemail, call forwarding, family discounts, or other services that may not work in the same way after moving to ahamo.
A cheaper plan is only cheaper if it still includes the services you actually need.
Rakuten Mobile and MVNOs: Cheaper, but Not Quite the Same
I also looked into Rakuten Mobile.
At first, I thought that if Rakuten Mobile was cheaper, perhaps I should simply move there instead.
However, Rakuten Mobile is different from ahamo. It is its own mobile carrier rather than an online plan operated by Docomo, au, or SoftBank.
Its pricing can be attractive, particularly for people who want a flexible plan or use a large amount of data. Rakuten Link may also be useful for people who make many domestic calls.
Because Rakuten Mobile uses its own network, I would personally check coverage around my home, workplace, train routes, and the places I visit most often before switching.
A coverage map is useful, but everyday reception can also be affected by buildings, underground areas, and the specific neighborhood.
I also compared low-cost SIM providers, often called MVNOs in Japan, such as IIJmio, mineo, and Japan Communications SIM.
MVNOs rent network capacity from major carriers and can offer very inexpensive plans. For someone who uses only a few gigabytes—or even less than one gigabyte—an MVNO may cost less than ahamo.
The trade-off is that mobile speeds can sometimes vary depending on the provider and the time of day. Customer support and available services may also differ.
For my own situation, ahamo currently feels like the easiest first step. I could stay on the Docomo network, keep my number, and lower my monthly bill without making a major change to how I use my phone.
Checking My Own Usage Changed the Way I Compared Plans
Before doing this research, I thought choosing a mobile plan meant finding the cheapest carrier or the plan with the largest data allowance.
What helped me most was something much simpler: checking my actual usage.
The result was 0.15GB.
Because I had an unlimited plan, I had quietly assumed that unlimited data was necessary. In reality, I had been paying for peace of mind that I did not actually need.
I have not changed my plan yet, but ahamo now feels like a much more realistic option than it did before.
I still need to confirm the contract details, calling options, and any Docomo services that could be affected. I also want to look at several months of data usage rather than judging everything from only one month.
Still, the direction is much clearer now.
For anyone living in Japan who feels that their mobile phone bill may be too high, checking your data usage is probably more useful than immediately comparing every carrier.
Your phone use may not be what you imagine it is.
In my case, I use my phone regularly, but mostly for downloaded e-books and activities connected to home Wi-Fi. That small difference in lifestyle explains why an unlimited mobile plan is far more than I need.
Seeing 0.15GB on the screen made me laugh a little.
I had spent years paying for unlimited data without ever stopping to ask whether I was actually using it.
Sources and Notes
This article was written with reference to information published by NTT Docomo, ahamo, KDDI, povo, SoftBank, LINEMO, and Rakuten Mobile.
Mobile plan prices, data allowances, call options, coverage, and available services may change. Please check each carrier’s official website and current terms before applying or changing your contract.




Comments
Post a Comment