Detergent Here, Cosmetics There: How I Use Drugstores in Japan

During my first few years in Japan, I only went into a drugstore when I needed cold medicine, painkillers, or a box of masks.

I would find what I needed, pay, and leave without looking around very much.

Then, little by little, I started noticing everything else on the shelves.

Laundry detergent, tissues, shampoo, toothpaste, snacks, drinks, skincare products, makeup, and sometimes even eggs, milk, and frozen food.

These days, there are weeks when I visit a drugstore more often than a supermarket.

At first, I assumed most Japanese drugstores were basically the same. Once I began comparing prices, though, I realized that each chain has its own strengths.

Some are useful when I have a good coupon. Some are better for reward points. Others keep their prices simple and low from the start.

I am not the kind of person who drives across town to save a few yen. Still, after living in Japan for many years, I have naturally developed my own little shopping routine.

Japanese Drugstores Changed the Way I Think About Cosmetics

One of the biggest surprises for me was how normal it is to buy cosmetics at a drugstore in Japan.

The beauty sections can be huge.

You may find foundation, lipstick, sunscreen, facial masks, hair treatments, beauty supplements, and several shelves of skincare products in the same store that sells cold medicine and toilet paper.

The number of testers surprised me too.

In many stores, you can check the texture of a lotion, compare foundation shades, or try a lipstick tester before deciding what to buy.

I remember looking around and thinking:

“Is this really supposed to be a drugstore?”

It felt more like a beauty shop, supermarket, and pharmacy-related store all combined into one.

Because I am Korean, this sometimes makes me think about how popular beauty and health stores have become in Korea as well.

Maybe the Japanese drugstore style influenced that trend, or maybe both countries simply developed in a similar direction. I may be completely wrong, of course. Still, the thought crosses my mind whenever I see a long row of cosmetic testers in Japan.(็ฌ‘)

I Check Coupons Before Buying More Expensive Beauty Products

When I need cosmetics or skincare products, I often check stores such as Matsumoto Kiyoshi first.

Their apps frequently offer coupons, and a 10% discount can make a noticeable difference when the product is not cheap.

I used to choose a product after entering the store. Now I sometimes stand outside for a minute and open the app before going in.

If there is a useful coupon, I buy it there. If not, I may leave the purchase for another day.

Of course, coupons can also tempt me to buy things I did not plan to buy.

When an offer says “today only,” it is easy to feel that not using it would be a waste.

But buying nothing still costs less than buying something unnecessary.

I have to remind myself of that more often than I would like to admit.

Somehow, I Started Paying Attention to Reward Points

I did not care much about reward points when I first moved to Japan.

After a few years, however, I somehow ended up checking point campaigns like everyone else.

Welcia is a good example. Many shoppers save their points and use them for larger purchases such as detergent, toilet paper, drinks, or other household supplies.

Some locations also carry enough food to feel like a small supermarket.

I have gone in for shampoo and walked out with milk, snacks, tissues, and something from the frozen section. That may be a fairly typical Welcia shopping trip.

On other days, I do not want to think about points or campaigns at all. I simply want to know whether the price in front of me is reasonable.

For basic household products such as toothpaste, detergent, and tissues, I often check Sundrug.

That does not mean every item is always cheapest there. I have simply found enough good prices over the years that it became one of the stores I remember when we are running low on daily necessities.

We live with three Bengal cats, so wet wipes and deodorizing products seem to disappear almost as soon as I buy them.

When your household uses the same items again and again, you eventually remember which nearby store tends to sell them at a better price.

Cosmos Is Refreshingly Simple

The first time I visited Cosmos Drug, I looked for a point card sign.

I could not find one.

At first, I was genuinely confused because points, apps, and limited-time campaigns are so common in Japan.

Then I realized that the store follows a different idea. Instead of giving points later, it tries to keep prices low from the beginning.

I found that surprisingly relaxing.

There are no point calculations or coupon deadlines, and I do not have to wonder whether I should wait for the next campaign.

I can simply look at the price and decide whether I want to buy the product.

Cosmos is not the chain I see most often in my area, so I do not visit it as regularly as some other drugstores. Still, when I happen to be near one, I usually go inside to check the household goods and food sections.

Some people enjoy collecting points and planning purchases around special campaigns. Others prefer simple prices without much effort.

After trying both, I think the better system is the one that does not make shopping feel like extra work.

I No Longer Try to Buy Everything at One Store

These days, I rarely buy everything in the same place.

I usually buy meat and vegetables at a supermarket, frozen products at Gyomu Super, and cosmetics or household items at a drugstore.

However, I do not visit several stores just to find the absolute lowest price.

Saving 20 yen on toothpaste does not mean much if I spend more money on gasoline or waste an hour driving around.

There is also the danger of buying extra snacks at every stop, which has ruined more than one of my attempts at being economical.

For me, the most practical approach is to use stores that are already close to home or along my normal route.

Before leaving the house, I try to think about what I actually need.

That simple habit has helped me reduce impulse purchases more than memorizing every sale price.

The Best Drugstore Is the One That Fits Your Routine

There is no single Japanese drugstore that is best for everyone.

One person may prefer a store with generous coupons. Another may want to collect reward points. Someone else may prefer a store where the prices are low without any extra steps.

Now I barely think about my own system.

I simply know where I usually buy detergent, where I check cosmetics, and which store I stop at when we are running low on cat supplies.

It is not a perfect money-saving method, and I am sure I sometimes pay a little more than necessary.

But it works for our household, and that is enough for me.

For anyone who has recently moved to Japan, my advice is not to compare every store at once. Start with the shops near your home, notice which items seem reasonably priced, and build your own routine gradually.

After a while, choosing a drugstore becomes just another small part of everyday life in Japan.

Which Japanese drugstore do you visit most often? ๐Ÿ˜Š



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Sleep Better During Summer in Japan: Tips for Hot and Humid Nights

Are Japanese Supermarkets Really Cheaper on Tuesdays? What I’ve Learned from Shopping in Japan

Why Is Summer in Japan So Hot? A Foreigner's Guide to Japan's Humid Summers and Heatstroke Prevention

Will Your Company Find Out About Your Side Income in Japan?

What Are We Buying Today? How I Choose Where to Shop in Japan

【Narita Travel #2】AEON Mall Narita: The Perfect Last Stop Before Your Flight

Thinking About Buying a Home in Japan? Here's What Prices Look Like by Region

Peach and Grape Picking in Japan: Seasons, Best Areas, and Tips

Japan's Summer Vacation Isn't the Same Everywhere — Here's Why

You Haven't Missed Them Yet — 20 Kanto Fireworks Festivals Still Happening This Summer